News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyers are scum, example 745632

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2012, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:mad:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/05/john_edwards_trial_why_can_t_lawyers_agree_on_the_meanings_of_simple_words_.html
QuoteThe Meaning of The
Why can't lawyers agree on the meanings of basic words?

By L.V. Anderson|Posted Monday, May 14, 2012, at 7:04 PM ET

John Edwards' legal team, which began its defense of the former senator today, intends to argue that Edwards did not violate campaign finance laws by using donations to hide his affair with Rielle Hunter. The law proscribes "any gift, subscription, loan, advance, or deposit of money ... for the purpose of influencing any election for federal office." Edwards' lawyers argue that the word the, as in "the purpose of influencing any election," suggests the sole purpose. That's a key distinction, since prosecutors argue that the, in this case, means a—and that the whole phrase suggests at least one among several purposes. Why can't lawyers agree on the definitions of basic words like the?

Because language is often ambiguous, and the people who write laws sometimes fail to define their terms. In regular speech, the definite article (the) can sometimes refer to something unique—for instance, "I have a cat. The cat is sleeping." Other times, it can refer to something that's not unique: If I say, "My cat is lying on the arm of my chair," I'm not implying that the chair has only one arm. Whether the refers to something unique depends on the context in which it's used and can be open to interpretation. (The can also refer to a broad category of things, as in "The cat is a kind of mammal," but neither side of the Edwards case is arguing for this meaning of the.)

It's up to a judge to determine which definition of a word is more likely to apply in a given statute. Many lawyers and judges try to apply what's known as the "ordinary-usage canon"—that is, what a reasonable native speaker of English would assume a word, phrase, or idiom to mean. Sometimes judges' rulings don't exactly adhere to ordinary-usage canon—for instance, in 1993, the Supreme Court ruled that the phrase "using a gun" could mean not only using a gun as a weapon (as one might commonly use that phrase to mean) but also giving someone a gun in exchange for something else (in this case, drugs). More recently, in Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories v. Novo Nordisk, the Supreme Court ruled that the phrase not an, as in "not ... an approved method of using the drug," means "not a particular" method, rather than "not any" method.

Other seemingly simple words that are often contested in the courts include any, and, or, and shall.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Journalists talk shit about technical fields they know nothing about, example aleph null.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 14, 2012, 08:51:44 PM
Journalists talk shit about technical fields they know nothing about, example aleph null.
Indeed.  But lawyers are still bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Tim,  unfortunate lawyers are nessesary.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

Quote from: 11B4V on May 14, 2012, 09:34:08 PM
Tim,  unfortunate lawyers are nessesary.

We have several of the unfortunate kind here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

*sighs* Every word matters.  That said, there's no way the "the" versus "a" argument is going to hold up:

Sole case: Poisoned contributions stand, as long as there's *some* other provable motive behind the gift as well, even if the *primary* purpose is to influence.

Plural case:  Every contribution that has a provable motive of influence is verboten.

Any judge worth their gavel, and better yet, any attorney worth the paper their JD is printed on, is going to attack that one in seconds.  No judge is going to want to be the one that effectively destroyed the contribution ban over the choice of article in the wording.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Any ambiguity in language needs be resolved in favour of the accused.  I thought you, Tim, the big civil libertarian, would appreciate that principle. :rolleyes:

(that is in fact a stupid rule of interpretation - a law means what it means)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

One more reason I could never be lawyer.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on May 15, 2012, 12:01:28 AM
One more reason I could never be lawyer.

Not smart enough?

:console:

Funny, us Ukrainians are usually pretty damn smart...

Ideologue

I think we all know in terms of raw intelligence DG is way smarter than any lawyer here with the possible exception of Joan.  Math > application of rules and policy at best and bullshit at worst.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

DGuller

Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2012, 12:14:40 AM
I think we all know in terms of raw intelligence DG is way smarter than any lawyer here with the possible exception of Joan.  Math > application of rules and policy at best and bullshit at worst.
:yes: That said, in my experience, corporate lawyers that I was involved with in the course of my work have all been very sharp.

Martinus