And we're back!

Main Menu

No wonder Lettow is so messed up

Started by katmai, May 12, 2012, 03:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

QuoteTennessee governor signs controversial "gateway sexual activity" bill
ReutersBy Tim Ghianni | Reuters – 5 hrs ago

NASHVILLE, Tenn (Reuters) - Tennessee teachers can no longer condone so-called "gateway sexual activity" such as touching genitals under a new law that critics say is too vague and could hamper discussion about safe sexual behavior.

Governor Bill Haslam's office Friday confirmed that he had signed the bill, which stirred up controversy nationwide and even was lampooned by comedian Stephen Colbert.

"Kissing and hugging are the last stop before reaching Groin Central Station, so it's important to ban all the things that lead to the things that lead to sex," he said on the "Colbert Report" television show.

But proponents say the new law helps define the existing abstinence-only sex-education policy.

Under the law, Tennessee teachers could be disciplined and speakers from outside groups like Planned Parenthood could face fines of up to $500 for promoting or condoning "gateway sexual activities."

David Fowler, president of the Family Action Council of Tennessee, which pushed the bill, said it does not ban kissing or holding hands from discussion in sex education classes. But he said it addresses the touching of certain "gateway body parts," including genitals, buttocks, breasts and the inner thigh.

It is unclear from the bill's wording whether Tennessee teachers could promote masturbation.

The bill sailed through the legislative session, passing the Senate 28-1 and the House 68-23.

Opponents, which include Planned Parenthood of Middle and East Tennessee and the state teachers' union, say that before they can begin fighting the new law, they have to be able to figure it out. They worry that discussion of sexual behavior could be interpreted as condoning it.

"The very ambiguous language in this bill certainly puts teachers in a very difficult situation" when it comes to knowing what to teach, said Jerry Winters, spokesman for the Tennessee Education Association.

Fowler said the new law was authored in part because of incidents in which teachers were instructing about alternate sexual practices as ways to have gratification without risking pregnancy, according to Fowler.

He said one such incident involved a Nashville high school teacher who was encouraging girls to give boys oral sex in order to get a condom on them.

Fowler also pointed to a Planned Parenthood-organized program at a school in Knoxville, where students were directed to a web site "that actually lists as possible methods of birth control things like oral sex and anal sex play that I think most Tennesseans would find inappropriate."

Lyndsey Godwin, manager of education and training for Planned Parenthood, said the idea that her group was encouraging such behavior was "utterly false." She said that while Planned Parenthood educators may answer a student's question by agreeing that anal and oral sex don't lead to pregnancy, they also emphasize the disease risks.

Godwin said Planned Parenthood supports the state's abstinence-centered policy, but the reality is not everyone can be abstinent. She said that being able to address issues of condom use, contraception and answer questions about sexual behaviors to educate students are essential to her group's role.

Winters of the Tennessee Education Association said that already existing sex education policy was "quite adequate."

"It does focus on abstinence, but in this modern world to say that 'just say no' is the answer to teenage pregnancy is putting your head in the sand," Winters said.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Your country's fucked up.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Lettow77

I support the governor on this one. I've said it before, and I will say it again: The vile temptations of the defiled world are a stain that prevent us from attaining the pure land. Men lose their sense to sexuality, and women either find themselves in a debasing submission or debase themselves still more by seeking to control men through sexuality.

Of course, sexuality won't be curbed by this to any degree. But what it will do is link sexuality and shame, informing the teenagers that what they do, while feeling natural, desirable and a way to grow closer emotionally to someone, is in fact morally wrong. Social sanctions are a powerful thing, and this is all for the best. :)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

katmai

Quote from: HVC on May 12, 2012, 03:46:18 AM

I knew the Porkchop side would reveal itself.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2012, 03:53:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 12, 2012, 03:46:18 AM

I knew the Porkchop side would reveal itself.
say what you will about porkchops, but prudes they ain't. They'll fuck anything anywhere :lol: 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2012, 03:56:22 AM
God it must suck to be American.

No, you got that so wrong. It's entertaining.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2012, 04:11:55 AM

No, you got that so wrong. It's entertaining.

Hmm... No I think I got it right.

HVC

you realise if someone in Tennessee reads this you might get fined now, right? :P

katmai

In the immortal words of Siegy, they can blow me.

The Brain

Isn't there a huge Gateway To The Sex monument in St. Louis btw?

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Brain on May 12, 2012, 06:01:16 AM
Isn't there a huge Gateway To The Sex monument in St. Louis btw?

It's very nice to look at and think about but once you're inside all the magic's gone.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Scipio

Holy ostrich with its head in the sand, Batman!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt