News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

恥ずかしいセリフ 禁止

Started by Lettow77, May 10, 2012, 05:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolytsin

Visitors are more than welcome in Japan.  Immigrants are not.  Gaining access and acceptance in Japanese society is very, very difficult.  Third-generation Koreans sometimes find it hard, let alone the Brazilians.

Neil

Quote from: Kolytsin on May 11, 2012, 08:45:35 PM
If it's an English only board, then just put that in the rules.  You are the god of this particular world, after all.
But then that would deprive me of the opportunity to look down my nose at people who use non-civilized languages.

Make no mistake, I like the Japanese.  Their hard work and gadgetry is much appreciated, and they're the only group outside of North America and Western Europe that I would consider civilized, but all non-English languages are utterly immoral and barbaric.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Quote from: Kolytsin on May 11, 2012, 09:53:53 PM
Visitors are more than welcome in Japan.  Immigrants are not.  Gaining access and acceptance in Japanese society is very, very difficult.  Third-generation Koreans sometimes find it hard, let alone the Brazilians.

I know it. It is part of the appeal. I'll do my best- assimilation is impossible, but integration isn't, necessarily. I don't mind receiving unfavorable treatment, discrimination, etc. I won't make a fuss and i'll keep my head down while working to subsidize the care of Japan's massive aging population. I'll try to avoid becoming involved with a Japanese woman as well, due to how dim a view some Japanese might take of that.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Kolytsin

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 12, 2012, 12:08:24 AM
I'll try to avoid becoming involved with a Japanese woman as well, due to how dim a view some Japanese might take of that.

Probably not the best idea to avoid the easiest way to permanent visa status and avoidance of legal trouble.

Lettow77

I thought about that too, but it'd be irresponsible to put my own convenience over the tide of Japanese opinion. Interracial marriage isn't something I should take lightly- my grandfather still lives, after all, and there is my father's memory to consider, to say nothing of what the people of the sacred isles themselves might think.

Still, I don't necessarily swear off the idea. Just that it can't be considered lightly.

Kolytsin

What your own family thinks is your issue.  However, if you are white, then an interracial marriage/dating isn't particularly looked down upon.  Especially if you are in Tokyo/Osaka.  You might run into a lot more curious stares out in the country, but the actual instances of expressed hostility are rare.  The girl's family, however, may or may not care, depending largely on their social background.

Kolytsin

Also, if you actually give a fuck about learning the reality of the society you supposedly idealize, I recommend that you read "An Introduction to Japanese Society" by Yoshio Sugimoto.  Also, "Tokyo Vice" would help as well.  Anime/Manga gives a very narrow and idealized representation.

Neil

Quote from: Kolytsin on May 12, 2012, 01:46:19 PM
Also, if you actually give a fuck about learning the reality of the society you supposedly idealize, I recommend that you read "An Introduction to Japanese Society" by Yoshio Sugimoto.  Also, "Tokyo Vice" would help as well.  Anime/Manga gives a very narrow and idealized representation.
Are you saying that it's unacceptable to Shoryuken people in the streets?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kolytsin on May 12, 2012, 01:46:19 PM

Actually, I think Lettow has everything he needs to survive in Japan with a copy of Big Eyes, Small Mouth.

Lettow77

I'm not reading "Vice" anything. It'd be unfortunate to assume most of what I know comes from anime, but I can understand why that's the convenient go-to assumption for japanophiles.

( and even more unfortunate to assume I watch shonen drivel, neil..)

I'll be fine, and if I am not, it is of little consequence. I don't really want advice.

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 12, 2012, 05:45:11 PM
I'm not reading "Vice" anything. It'd be unfortunate to assume most of what I know comes from anime, but I can understand why that's the convenient go-to assumption for japanophiles.

I'll be fine, and if I am not, it is of little consequence. I don't really want advice.
It's a natural assumption given your avatar, wouldn't you say?

CountDeMoney

Lettow77

I suppose so, but then, that's a western creation without any Japanese input, as i'm sure you know.

It's not that I disavow liking anime, mind you- it's a fine form of entertainment.

Kolytsin

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 12, 2012, 05:45:11 PM

Up to you, then.  Sometimes it's better not to reinvent the wheel, though.  Japan propagates many myths to itself and the outside world.  The excesses of nihonjinron (Socially darwinist-esque ethno-nationalist theories that attempt to establish Japanese exceptionality) are one of the more disturbing examples.