News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

May 9th Prediction: Obama or Romney?

Started by Jacob, May 09, 2012, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you predict will win the 2012 US Presidential Election?

Obama will get re-elected
55 (83.3%)
Romney will be president
11 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Strix

Obama will win, it's a done deal. The Democrats will make great gains in both the Senate and Congress.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2012, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on May 11, 2012, 10:34:21 AM
The country is center-right and will vote for conservative ideas over liberal ones.  The problem for the GOP was that it had succumbed to big government activism and conservatives felt sold out.  The Democrats and Obama promised to govern conservatively and won.  Remember, Obama promised a "net-spending cut" when he ran for President.  When the Democrats governed liberally it didn't work out too well for them, did it?

However, unless Republicans can actually govern in a conservative manner (I mean mainly on fiscal and role of government matters, not social), we might end up having a generation that tilts to the left, putting the country on a path where the majority of the population become tax-eaters instead of tax-payers.  We are already dangerously close.  From there it is a short step to Greece.

Well Obama also promised a bunch of left wing things he didn't do either.

Totally agree with you on the second part but they won't.  The Republicans are completely corrupt and sold out, same with the Democrats.  They can only reform in a way where the interests who have bought them will not suffer too much and that is impossible.  The problem is not left vs. right really but the whole culture and system.  So really who wins does not bother me too much.  The only thing that seems to still shift is the social stuff and I am more with the Democrats on those (sort of, they just cannot help themselves but pass stupid crap even when I generally agree with them).  But hey the Republicans will get another shot if not this election but very soon and whenever they feel like getting the fiscal house in order I will support them again.

Not that it matters who I support of course, I do not live in a swing state.

All of Obama's statements come with an expiration date. All of them.  Usually politicians at least go thru the motions of sticking to their campaign promises, Obama always operates as if nothing he says really means anything.

It used to infuriate me when Clinton used lawyerly parsings to wiggle out of promises, but at least he understood that his word has to mean something at some level, debates or interviews were like trying to nail jello to the wall.  Obama just doesn't give a fuck and say whatever is expedient, even though everybody knows full well its bullshit, confident that the msm is never going to call him on it.

As far as the GOP, there has been massive turnover within the party in the last few years, due to winning new seats, retirements, and incumbents being tossed in primaries for being out of touch.  The GOP in 2013 will be a very different party than it was in 2006.

Maybe this will give the GOP 2-4 years prior to succumbing to corruption and having to be reminded by the voters who is in charge.  There is little hope of the Democrats ever cleaning up on corruption since it goes to the very core of who they are, an outgrowth of the urban spoils system, which now dominates the party.

HVC

When I read Hans I miss mishca (or however it was spelled)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on May 12, 2012, 03:59:40 AM

I remember him. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

You really are sleep deprived.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on May 12, 2012, 04:09:15 AM

You really are sleep deprived.
:lol: they both have the same semi-deluded pitbull lockjaw style hold on their beliefs. Mishca was just loony toons though. At least Hans is smart enough to know his stuff, even if I disagree with his slant.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Whatever happened to Hansmeister's blog?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hansmeister

Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2012, 04:46:25 AM

Alas, blogs for military members are now subject to monitoring and approval.

Not to mention that I'm quite busy most of the time.  I'm currently filling a half-dozen positions, half of which are Field Grade level.  So I end up working about 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sucky hours, but its not like there is much else to do.

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 12, 2012, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2012, 04:46:25 AM

Alas, blogs for military members are now subject to monitoring and approval.

Not to mention that I'm quite busy most of the time.  I'm currently filling a half-dozen positions, half of which are Field Grade level.  So I end up working about 14 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sucky hours, but its not like there is much else to do.
That's pretty poor management by your boss by overloading you so heavily.  You should fire him.

Habbaku

Quote from: Strix on May 12, 2012, 02:09:48 AM
Obama will win, it's a done deal. The Democrats will make great gains in both the Senate and Congress.

I'm curious, what do you think Congress consists of?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 11, 2012, 10:18:15 AM
Wanna make it interesting Hans?

I would put some money on Intrade (Obama and no Iran attack) but they charge you a monthly fee.

I tried to make a wager with Hans over the Iraq war.  He didn't have the balls.  There wasn't any money involved just a concession.  Hans kept saying that the insurgency was dead or dying or something like that.  So I made him a wager that I would agree that he's correct if there are 4 or less American combat deaths in Iraq in one month six months from the bet.  That seemed to be a good indicator of pacification.  Hans wouldn't take it.  This was 2004 or 2005.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on May 12, 2012, 01:52:22 PM
Quote from: Strix on May 12, 2012, 02:09:48 AM

I'm curious, what do you think Congress consists of?

Congressmen.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2012, 02:29:30 PM
I tried to make a wager with Hans over the Iraq war.  He didn't have the balls.  There wasn't any money involved just a concession.  Hans kept saying that the insurgency was dead or dying or something like that.  So I made him a wager that I would agree that he's correct if there are 4 or less American combat deaths in Iraq in one month six months from the bet.  That seemed to be a good indicator of pacification.  Hans wouldn't take it.  This was 2004 or 2005.

Why are you telling me this?