When will pot become a mainstream political issue?

Started by DGuller, May 08, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on May 13, 2012, 07:54:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2012, 02:51:59 AM
Quote from: dps on May 09, 2012, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
Once, we changed out constitution to ban alcohol. Then we changed it back. This will have its time as well.

This may have actually been better placed in the thread on Obamacare and the Supreme Court, but I find it very interesting that in 1919 we didn't think Congress had the power to ban alcohol without a Constitutional amendment, less than 20 years later we repealed that amendment (so, in theory Congress no longer had the power to ban alcohol, right?), and then Congress started criminalizing other recreational drugs.  Yet, oddly, I don't recall ever hearing an advocate for decriminalization of pot (or other harder drugs) argue for a strict interpretation of the commerce clause.
Interesting. I've never thought of it that way before.  :hmm:

I've actually been thinking about this for some time.  It seems obvious to me that if before the 18th Amendment, the Commerce Clause didn't give the Federal Government the power to outlaw alcohol, then it didn't have the power to outlaw other drugs, either.  Of course, the conception of what the Commerce Clause did allow underwent a profound change during the 1930s, but I've become increasingly convinced that the courts have allowed the Federal government to take to much power through virtually unchecked use of the Commerce Clause (combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause).  At this point, I think that many Federal drug laws are simply unconstitutional, especially those that criminalize mere possession (hint to Fireblade--if you get caught by the Feds, don't try this argument in court, especially if the individual mandate is upheld).  Note that state drug laws are a different matter, since states have general police powers that the Federal government isn't supposed to have.

Why does it seem obvious to you?  The US criminalized certain drugs years before prohibition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2012, 08:47:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2012, 02:51:59 AM
Quote from: dps on May 09, 2012, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
Once, we changed out constitution to ban alcohol. Then we changed it back. This will have its time as well.

This may have actually been better placed in the thread on Obamacare and the Supreme Court, but I find it very interesting that in 1919 we didn't think Congress had the power to ban alcohol without a Constitutional amendment, less than 20 years later we repealed that amendment (so, in theory Congress no longer had the power to ban alcohol, right?), and then Congress started criminalizing other recreational drugs.  Yet, oddly, I don't recall ever hearing an advocate for decriminalization of pot (or other harder drugs) argue for a strict interpretation of the commerce clause.
Interesting. I've never thought of it that way before.  :hmm:

I've actually been thinking about this for some time.  It seems obvious to me that if before the 18th Amendment, the Commerce Clause didn't give the Federal Government the power to outlaw alcohol, then it didn't have the power to outlaw other drugs, either.  Of course, the conception of what the Commerce Clause did allow underwent a profound change during the 1930s, but I've become increasingly convinced that the courts have allowed the Federal government to take to much power through virtually unchecked use of the Commerce Clause (combined with the Necessary and Proper Clause).  At this point, I think that many Federal drug laws are simply unconstitutional, especially those that criminalize mere possession (hint to Fireblade--if you get caught by the Feds, don't try this argument in court, especially if the individual mandate is upheld).  Note that state drug laws are a different matter, since states have general police powers that the Federal government isn't supposed to have.

Why does it seem obvious to you?  The US criminalized certain drugs years before prohibition.

Individual states did (and in some cases, individual cities) but AFAIK the Federal government didn't outright ban any drugs before prohibition.  Certain drugs were heavily regulated but none were out-and-out illegal.

And if Congress had the power to outlaw certain drugs, why did they need a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol?

Razgovory

I don't know why they opted for a constitutional amendment, but the US had effectively banned the recreational use of heroin and opium before alcohol prohibition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 01:03:55 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 09, 2012, 01:01:27 PM
You probably got all Rodney King on people who fed their cats generic cat food too.  :P

I was rather...strong-armed with animal abusers.  Catching my first Little Dazzling Urbanite shits setting a cat on fire, the name plate came off.   :ph34r:

We need more bobbies like you :wub:

But boo to the picking on people with weed. Stoners do tend to rather suck but more people than stoners do weed, even as a regular thing.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 14, 2012, 09:17:04 AM
I don't know why they opted for a constitutional amendment, but the US had effectively banned the recreational use of heroin and opium before alcohol prohibition.
They thought that people would respect the Constitution.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2012, 09:44:13 AM
But boo to the picking on people with weed. Stoners do tend to rather suck but more people than stoners do weed, even as a regular thing.

Doesn't matter. 

"I judge marijuana by the company it keeps."
--Joe Friday, Det. Sgt., LAPD

The Minsky Moment

It seems obvious to me that if before the 18th Amendment, the Commerce Clause didn't give the Federal Government the power to outlaw alcohol, then it didn't have the power to outlaw other drugs, either.  Of course, the conception of what the Commerce Clause did allow underwent a profound change during the 1930s . . .

In 1919, certainly the Commerce Power would not be considered sufficient basis to outlaw the production of alchohol for purely local consumption.  By the time Wickard v. Fillburn was decided around 1942, that had changed, but by then Prohibition was gone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2012, 10:45:49 AM
It seems obvious to me that if before the 18th Amendment, the Commerce Clause didn't give the Federal Government the power to outlaw alcohol, then it didn't have the power to outlaw other drugs, either.  Of course, the conception of what the Commerce Clause did allow underwent a profound change during the 1930s . . .

In 1919, certainly the Commerce Power would not be considered sufficient basis to outlaw the production of alchohol for purely local consumption.  By the time Wickard v. Fillburn was decided around 1942, that had changed, but by then Prohibition was gone.

Honestly, we're just fumbling around in the dark at this point. Nobody gets the amendments they need anymore. We just get the court to decide the powers were somehow already there and call it good. I see no reason why we can't just make an amendment for each of the ambiguous things now and pass them. Just in case Ron Paul get elected.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 14, 2012, 11:09:31 AM
Nobody gets the amendments they need anymore.

Like the ones about heterosexual marriage, flag burning, and abortion?  Be glad they don't.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2012, 10:04:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2012, 09:44:13 AM

Doesn't matter. 

"I judge marijuana by the company it keeps."
--Joe Friday, Det. Sgt., LAPD

I'm shocked Josq is sticking with his fellow drunkards and stoners.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive