When will pot become a mainstream political issue?

Started by DGuller, May 08, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 07:12:31 PM
I used to like CdM, until he made noises about trying to deprive me of wine.

Wine snobbery is an entirely different issue.  One that requires an entirely different criminal code.

I agree.  Start with making it a misdemeanor to sell jug wine, white zinfandel, and garbagne. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on May 09, 2012, 09:50:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 09:33:18 AM
Personal opinion, but I'd like to think I have enough first hand experience to make my opinion worth something.

It's a really crap opinion (unusual for you). If you think that removing a revenue source worth approximately $40bn* in the USA would have a marginal impact on organised crime, you must be tripping.

* Estimate from CNBC
http://www.cnbc.com/id/36179677/How_Big_Is_The_Marijuana_Market

Maybe we have different understandings of the word "marginal".

I agree it would make a noticeable difference.  But of the organized crime-type files I see just as many have to deal with crack as with pot.

So I say again - legalizing pot will not put the Hells Angels out of business.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

Wine snobbery is an entirely different issue.  One that requires an entirely different criminal code.

I agree.  Start with making it a misdemeanor to sell jug wine, white zinfandel, and garbagne.

WINE IN A BOX

Gups

Marginal = insignificant, minor, small.

Of course legalising pot won't mean an end to criminal gangs. It will just knock out a significant income stream as well as freeing up a certain amount of time for enforcement agencies and a new income stream for the gubbermint.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 10:10:08 AM
WINE IN A BOX

I'm OK with wine in box conceptually.  Just not with the wines that usually get put int the box.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

WINE IN A BOX

Well how else would a guy like me get into some college chick's pants? :angry:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2012, 10:19:10 AM

WINE IN A BOX

There are several ways, but most wind up with you being arrested. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 09, 2012, 10:02:59 AM

I'm not a wine snob, but I'll second that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 10:22:03 AM

WINE IN A BOX

There are several ways, but most wind up with you being arrested. :(
:(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2012, 06:02:44 PM
Once, we changed out constitution to ban alcohol. Then we changed it back. This will have its time as well.

This may have actually been better placed in the thread on Obamacare and the Supreme Court, but I find it very interesting that in 1919 we didn't think Congress had the power to ban alcohol without a Constitutional amendment, less than 20 years later we repealed that amendment (so, in theory Congress no longer had the power to ban alcohol, right?), and then Congress started criminalizing other recreational drugs.  Yet, oddly, I don't recall ever hearing an advocate for decriminalization of pot (or other harder drugs) argue for a strict interpretation of the commerce clause.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 09, 2012, 09:54:10 AM
There would still be an underground market for bigger, better buds than the mediocre, overtaxed pot that would be allowed in the public market.

I am not sure why you assume that private regulated growers for profit would produce mediocre bud. I also I am not sure why you assume it would be overtaxed given the fact the main policy reason for regulating is to take out the profit motive for organized crime.

Gups

WINE IN A BOX

She might be amused by your presumption.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2012, 10:56:19 AM
There would still be an underground market for bigger, better buds than the mediocre, overtaxed pot that would be allowed in the public market.

I am not sure why you assume that private regulated growers for profit would produce mediocre bud. I also I am not sure why you assume it would be overtaxed given the fact the main policy reason for regulating is to take out the profit motive for organized crime.

While I don't know about the 1st assumption, the 2nd one seems almost certain to happen if pot is legalized, given the way we tax alcohol and tobacco.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 08:36:03 AM
If you really want to take organized crime completely out of the picture you have to legalize everything, and make it easily available (as in no prescription needed).

Legalize pot if you want.  It will only make a marginal difference to organized crime.
The influence on organized crime is a diversion.  Laws should not be made with organized crime in mind, they should be made with citizens in mind.  A large number of citizens, if not the majority, think laws against marijuana are pointless, and a large subsection of those people have so little respect for that law that they just outright ignore it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2012, 10:56:19 AM

I am not sure why you assume that private regulated growers for profit would produce mediocre bud.

Result of establishing the cheapest means of production.  And don't think the HCL content wouldn't be parametered with a ceiling like any other altering product.

I am not sure why you don't assume that.

QuoteI also I am not sure why you assume it would be overtaxed given the fact the main policy reason for regulating is to take out the profit motive for organized crime.

In order to make such a controversial initiative a success, you know that be the public interest trade-off.  Look at the tax margin on our other sin taxes: cigarettes, alcohol.

I also am not sure why you wouldn't assume that.