When will pot become a mainstream political issue?

Started by DGuller, May 08, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2012, 04:56:30 PM
We've got effective decriminalisation now.  It's technically illegal but practically tolerated and more or less everywhere.  I don't think there'll be any movement for legalisation while that's the situation.  What's the point?
Is that a serious question?  First of all, it's not really tolerated if you're caught with it.  But, even if it is tolerated, having a law that's not generally enforced is a terrible thing, as it opens the window for selective prosecution.  It is indeed a fact of life where I live:  black kids caught with pot are reamed a lot harder than white kids.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 07:40:29 PM
Is that a serious question?  First of all, it's not really tolerated if you're caught with it.  But, even if it is tolerated, having a law that's not generally enforced is a terrible thing, as it opens the window for selective prosecution.  It is indeed a fact of life where I live:  black kids caught with pot are reamed a lot harder than white kids.
You missed the point.  I'm talking about the situation here.  It is tolerated if you're caught with it, unless you've got a lot the police just wave you on.  I don't think anyone gets arrested for possession here.  That's what I mean by effective decriminalisation.

Therefore there's no pressure for legalisation, because people wonder 'what's the point?'  There's no need.  If the police actually did arrest people for pot possession or use and if there were prosecutions then I think legalisation would become a mainstream issue.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

My second point still applies.  If you're cool with pot, don't make criminals out of dealers.  Only bad things come from laws that kinda exist, but not really.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 07:50:51 PM
My second point still applies.  If you're cool with pot, don't make criminals out of dealers.  Only bad things come from laws that kinda exist, but not really.
Yeah.  You're right but not so many people care about dealers.  As long as everyone can buy and use themselves there's no real pressure for legalisation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2012, 07:52:19 PMYeah.  You're right but not so many people care about dealers.  As long as everyone can buy and use themselves there's no real pressure for legalisation.

Depends how heavy the illegal-pot-funded gang wars get.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on May 08, 2012, 07:58:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2012, 07:52:19 PMYeah.  You're right but not so many people care about dealers.  As long as everyone can buy and use themselves there's no real pressure for legalisation.

Depends how heavy the illegal-pot-funded gang wars get.
That's true.  But even then I think it'd take a lot.  Because it's decriminalised, it's sort of domesticated and I think removed from thinking about where it comes from and what it funds.  So I think it'd probably have to get very heavy for people to think in that way and push for legalisation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I would be fine with some sort of compromise.  Perhaps pot is just a fine or something.  I just am tired of people getting criminal records and spending time in prison for pot.  It is entirely a waste of money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Meh, the hard-core criminal dealers will just switch to whatever drugs are still banned.  I don't care so much about regular potheads or those that grow for themselves and their buddies...but those who make a living at it using mafia-style tactics should be fed to drug-sniffing dogs.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 08, 2012, 08:33:07 PM

Meh, the hard-core criminal dealers will just switch to whatever drugs are still banned.  I don't care so much about regular potheads or those that grow for themselves and their buddies...but those who make a living at it using mafia-style tactics should be fed to drug-sniffing dogs.

Would they really find the switch so easy? If that's the case, is it just laziness keeping them from exploiting those harder/more expensive drug markets?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

If America is going to become a place where I can't roll a J and smoke out, I don't want to live here anymore. #Canada #Canuckistan #Hongcouver.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 08:39:01 PM
Would they really find the switch so easy? If that's the case, is it just laziness keeping them from exploiting those harder/more expensive drug markets?

I doubt it'd be easy, but the attraction of money might be worth starting a war over (ala Mexico).  If pot is legal, it's easy enough to grow, that the illegal market, and thus easy profits, should dry up pretty quick.  Killing the current crack/meth/heroin dealers to edge into their market has got to be better than not being able to get your bling.

But then, I don't play the Game, so what the fuck do I know?  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2012, 07:52:19 PM
Yeah.  You're right but not so many people care about dealers. 

The situation is quite different here.  Taking away the profit motive from the gangs is the main reason so many people are coming out in favour of legalization.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 08, 2012, 08:45:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 08:39:01 PM

I doubt it'd be easy, but the attraction of money might be worth starting a war over (ala Mexico).  If pot is legal, it's easy enough to grow, that the illegal market, and thus easy profits, should dry up pretty quick.  Killing the current crack/meth/heroin dealers to edge into their market has got to be better than not being able to get your bling.

But then, I don't play the Game, so what the fuck do I know?  :P

The drug dealers have a pretty finely balanced trade, at least here in Canada.  We produce pot and the surplus production is traded for cocaine with the Mexicans.  Take away the Pot production from the gangs and they have nothing left with which to trade.

Now it is true that someone is still going to try to find a way to get cocaine into Canada but I am willing to bet that cocaine use is considerably lower in Canada then Pot use.  And with those lower numbers it will become a lot more feasable to treat cocain addiction as what it is - a health problem - rather than a criminal issue.  Which will further squeeze any profits from illegal dealilng.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2012, 08:23:02 PMThat's true.  But even then I think it'd take a lot.  Because it's decriminalised, it's sort of domesticated and I think removed from thinking about where it comes from and what it funds.  So I think it'd probably have to get very heavy for people to think in that way and push for legalisation.

... not the case in Vancouver at least. Seems like people are getting gunned down every month.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2012, 07:12:31 PM
I used to like CdM, until he made noises about trying to deprive me of wine.

Wine snobbery is an entirely different issue.  One that requires an entirely different criminal code.