Should international sport events be boycotted on political grounds?

Started by Martinus, May 04, 2012, 04:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

There is a debate now in Poland whether Ukrainian part of the EURO 2012 championship should be boycotted due to the treatment of Julia Tymoszenko. Putting aside the validity of the claim itself (personally I think it is rather tenuous - Tymoszenko is a very shady person herself and there are several different factors at play here - not least of it being that a boycott like this would push Ukraine into the waiting arms of Russia and away from the EU integration - which may or may not be in European interest but should be taken into account here), there is a certain group of people who claim that "politics should not interfere with sports" and, consequently, such calls for boycott are (presumedly) never right.

Do you agree? What is your view on the matter?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

You Poles and Ukes need to settle this on the battlefield.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Yes.  The cricket and rugby boycotts of South Africa were right.  But it should be up for sporting bodies not politicians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2012, 05:21:59 AM
Yes.  The cricket and rugby boycotts of South Africa were right.  But it should be up for sporting bodies not politicians.

Not sure I understand that sentiment. Sure, we all know politicians are crooked and corrupt but at least they are (in theory at least) answerable to the public. Officials in UEFA or FIFA or the International Olympic Committee are not less crooked and corrupt, but they answer to noone. Why the hell do you believe them more competent to make that decision?  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 05:30:39 AM
Not sure I understand that sentiment. Sure, we all know politicians are crooked and corrupt but at least they are (in theory at least) answerable to the public. Officials in UEFA or FIFA or the International Olympic Committee are not less crooked and corrupt, but they answer to noone. Why the hell do you believe them more competent to make that decision?  :lol:
I meant national sporting bodies.  It's a fair point about FIFA and the IOC but I don't think they'd ever support a boycott of one of their lucrative money-making opportunities/magnificent sporting events - the one exception I can think of is that I think the worldwide Rugby Union banned South Africa from the World Cup.  But I think it's for, say, the FA to decide whether or not to send a team to the Euros not for No. 10 - though it's difficult to know whose omnishambles is greater. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It is simply a question of liberty. The British government (for one) has no right to impose a boycott on any of our national sporting organisations. But that doesn't mean that the organisations themselves can't choose to impose a boycott.

Solmyr

Quote from: 11B4V on May 04, 2012, 04:17:19 AM
You Poles and Ukes need to settle this on the battlefield.

Cossacks vs hussars.

Also, another Marty poll? WTF?

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 04, 2012, 05:38:17 AM
It is simply a question of liberty. The British government (for one) has no right to impose a boycott on any of our national sporting organisations.

Similar in Germany. If politicians decide to make a political statement - be my guest. In the end every person/entity need to decide for themselves.

At any rate, the 2008 Beijing Olympics would have been a better target than Ukraine. Ukrainian politics are a mess, and I'm not sure I like EU politicians taking sides like that, esp. since I'm not sure all facts are known in the Timoshenko case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V