News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy bin Laden Headshot Fish Food Death Day

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2012, 02:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on May 02, 2012, 09:25:54 AM
It's called diffusion of insult (well, from this moment on it is).  Insults that insult everyone insult no one.
Also, insults that no one cares about insult no one.

Who cares if someone called someone else's mom a whore. It doesn't make her one.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2012, 09:21:00 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2012, 07:16:45 AMI and the other objectors interpreted your remark as calling Speesh's mom a whore.

But you have no objection to Speesh calling most women (including 98% of American women not to mention any number of fellow posters' mothers) whores?

Leaving aside the dubious and/or irrelevant 98% figure, I can assure you that was not my intent.

The term started out as an inside joke between me, my wife & some of our friends. I really don't mean anything by it; I always just thought it was a funny term. 

Further, I'm fascinated by the reaction it gets on Languish.  It's what I would expect if a majority here were female.  Given the strong language that is typically used here and general lack of sensitivity toward women, I originally did not expect even an eyebrow to be raised when I first used the term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on May 02, 2012, 10:43:38 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 02, 2012, 09:21:00 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2012, 07:16:45 AMI and the other objectors interpreted your remark as calling Speesh's mom a whore.

But you have no objection to Speesh calling most women (including 98% of American women not to mention any number of fellow posters' mothers) whores?

Leaving aside the dubious and/or irrelevant 98% figure, I can assure you that was not my intent.

The term started out as an inside joke between me, my wife & some of our friends. I really don't mean anything by it; I always just thought it was a funny term. 

Further, I'm fascinated by the reaction it gets on Languish.  It's what I would expect if a majority here were female.  Given the strong language that is typically used here and general lack of sensitivity toward women, I originally did not expect even an eyebrow to be raised when I first used the term.
It's like when Seedy calls someone a nigger, and when Lettow calls someone a nigger.  Same words have different meanings when spoken by different people.

Habbaku

I can't believe the 'whore pills' line still attracts this much attention.

And here I am adding to the problem.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Gups

I have some acquintances whom I would like to turn into whores. Are these pills only available in the land of the free and easy or are they more widely available?

fhdz

Quote from: Gups on May 02, 2012, 11:28:28 AM
I have some acquintances whom I would like to turn into whores. Are these pills only available in the land of the free and easy or are they more widely available?

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Cold hard cash.

Necklace? Vaginal sex
Gold bracelet? Anal
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand (who was the jerk that derailed this thread anyway??), from an objective standpoint I'm curious to know how this will affect Obama vs. Romney polling numbers.

Curiously, in the Gallup poll Romney has now pulled even with Obama even though he had been trailing by 7 points the previous week.  But in the Rasmussen poll Romney now trails Obama by 3 points after having led by about that same margin last week.

Gallup polls registered voters, which seems to slightly favor Obama, while Rasmussen polls only likely voters, which has generally favored Romney up until this week. 

In terms of approval numbers, I'm guessing Obama will get a momentary bump that will mirror last year's bump.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2012, 11:40:37 AM

Cold hard cash.

Necklace? Vaginal sex
Gold bracelet? Anal

Ah, that's what they mean when they say "put a ring on it"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on May 02, 2012, 11:49:10 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2012, 11:40:37 AM

Cold hard cash.

Necklace? Vaginal sex
Gold bracelet? Anal

Whether it's cash on the dresser by the door, dinner and a movie, an engagement ring or a mortgage, on a long enough timeline it's all extortion and cash for services with mob interest rates, pal.

Gups

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Gups on May 02, 2012, 11:49:10 AM

Usually that translates in my brain as "object not human enough to use personal pronoun".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

I suppose the finger in question may technically be female, but "it" makes more sense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

nigger

I'll add some more.

Is it the word that is more hurtful or the actual act of discrimination/racism?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".