And we're back!

Main Menu

Australian Billionare to build new Titanic

Started by jimmy olsen, April 30, 2012, 07:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2012, 03:08:02 PM
Some people are afraid of flying.

Sp people who are afraid of flying are going to flock to a boat named after the most infamous maritime disaster of all time? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

If the ship is too small you just build more of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2012, 02:47:44 PM

It seems to be about average in terms of passenger capacities.  Worst case scenario, it's unsinkable, so you could remove a few lifeboats to add extra space.

:lol:
evil

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 30, 2012, 03:25:42 PM

It seems to be about average in terms of passenger capacities.  Worst case scenario, it's unsinkable, so you could remove a few lifeboats to add extra space.

:lol:
evil

Too soon? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2012, 02:52:39 PM
Look at the gross tonnage.  All of those boats are substantially larger.  There are ships three times as large, but with the same number of passengers.
true, they are bigger, with less passengers, wich means more space than The Titanic.  I don't think it'd be viable as a 2500 passengers cruise ship.  1500 tops, imho, to make some room for modern stuff, like an Imax theater room, a gym, a pool, a tennis court, etc.  Then, can it be viable?  I honestly don't know.  Nor do I care, it's not my money :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 30, 2012, 09:17:33 AM
The Titanic was designed to not sink, too.  Of course, it all depends on the ship being properly built to spec,. . .

If you want to be rigorous about it, you need to do a proper statistical comaprison against ships that were desgined to sink.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

WHy build a close duplicate of the Titanic? What'll it be good for? And trusting the ChiComms to build it right? It won't sink, it'll fucking burn after its cardboard hull gets lit by a stray cigarette.
PDH!

Neil

Well, it would be interesting to see them try and make money at this.  They'd be selling the experience more than anything, but there's no way you get more than 7-800 passengers on that thing.  You're going to have to make significant alterations, as the first class facilities will need to be massively expanded.  In terms of amenities, 1912 First Class is 2012 Somewhat Adequate.  I suppose you could keep steerage going by bringing illegal gypsy immigrants and Muslim terrorists to the US, as they don't mind living in their own shit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on April 30, 2012, 07:53:11 PM
Well, it would be interesting to see them try and make money at this.  They'd be selling the experience more than anything, but there's no way you get more than 7-800 passengers on that thing.  You're going to have to make significant alterations, as the first class facilities will need to be massively expanded.  In terms of amenities, 1912 First Class is 2012 Somewhat Adequate.  I suppose you could keep steerage going by bringing illegal gypsy immigrants and Muslim terrorists to the US, as they don't mind living in their own shit.
Tamas is going to Britain!
PDH!

DGuller

DGuller

Worst case scenario, it's unsinkable, so you could remove a few lifeboats to add extra space.
:XD:

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 30, 2012, 06:22:28 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 30, 2012, 09:17:33 AM
The Titanic was designed to not sink, too.  Of course, it all depends on the ship being properly built to spec,. . .

If you want to be rigorous about it, you need to do a proper statistical comaprison against ships that were desgined to sink.

Submarines aren't really comparable to cruise ships.