News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stronghold Kingdoms - Any one tried this ?

Started by mongers, April 29, 2012, 08:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

used to play this about a year ago. found it to be meh after a while

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 29, 2012, 09:06:24 PM
The original Stronghold as in the old D&D game?

From the screenshots, it looks more like the original Castles.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Arvoreen on April 29, 2012, 09:58:49 PM
I sent 9 or 10  peasants and 9 or 10 archers to each of you...they will show up in the next day or 2 :D  lol

Nobody seems to have arrived. 

edit: nvm, I found the reinforce button to use your troops.  Very cool that they dont count against my population. Big advantage there.

Arvoreen

Yea...too bad it takes 24 hour+ to arrive to you...

And 48 hours to reach Mongers ....

But...if I send 'enough' troops, I can attack wolves, etc. from your village :)

mongers

Quote from: Arvoreen on May 01, 2012, 09:35:56 AM
Yea...too bad it takes 24 hour+ to arrive to you...

And 48 hours to reach Mongers ....

But...if I send 'enough' troops, I can attack wolves, etc. from your village :)

No worries, but I think I'm going to get curb stomped, as the blue faction seems to methodically taking over the whole region.

My peace ran out and was immediately attacked, though I survived !

The only sent 12 peasant, I'm guessing tomorrows assault will be rather larger. 

Meanwhile my home defence force continues to grown, it now numbers 5 archers and 6 peasants; it was a bugger to get the resources to build the fletcher.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I built some platforms for those archers and they were able to easily defeat an AI raiding party of 30 peasants sent from a rogue encampment that took up residence within the parish - 240 honour to me!

By tonight I should be able to add on a stone outer wall.

It looks like I am within a red parish on the borderlands with purple.  No active wars appear to be going on so I will cross my fingers and hope I am in a relatively peaceful area.  My noob protection comes off in two hours.

Tried to buy some crowns within the game but it doesnt seem to be working.

szmik

Got placement near Mongers, near Newstead, name's hungoth :)
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

mongers

Quote from: szmik on May 02, 2012, 10:32:13 AM
Got placement near Mongers, near Newstead, name's hungoth :)

:thumbsup:

I'll send you some stuff, once I get around to buying the merchant research.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2012, 09:10:44 AM
I built some platforms for those archers and they were able to easily defeat an AI raiding party of 30 peasants sent from a rogue encampment that took up residence within the parish - 240 honour to me!

By tonight I should be able to add on a stone outer wall.

It looks like I am within a red parish on the borderlands with purple.  No active wars appear to be going on so I will cross my fingers and hope I am in a relatively peaceful area.  My noob protection comes off in two hours.

Tried to buy some crowns within the game but it doesnt seem to be working.

My castle got attacked whilst I was out, my 7 archers, managed to defeat some 36 peasants and 4 archers, though my wooden wall took a battering.

Oh and I won despite me forgetting to place Avor.'s re-enforcements he'd sent me.  :D

crazy canuck

One tip I read Mongers, is not to accelerate your honour too much in the early game because the AI attackers' strength scales with that.  Wait until you have your stone defences in place with archers, then go crazy.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2012, 02:41:54 PM
One tip I read Mongers, is not to accelerate your honour too much in the early game because the AI attackers' strength scales with that.  Wait until you have your stone defences in place with archers, then go crazy.

Interesting, I've been a bit heavy with that.

But have been playing largely by ear, yes my stone walls are all but non-existent.

What do you feel about buying research points ?

The theatre seems to be a nice building with +6 happiness, though a bit heavy on the stone resources.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on May 02, 2012, 03:03:49 PM
What do you feel about buying research points ?

I have been doing it whenever I can.  That has helped me bump up my stone and wood production as well as increase my building skill.

I made a mistake early on and developed a bunch of education techs slots before I knew what was going on.  I thought, great reduction in research time - got to get that!  Only to find out there most of the time you are waiting around for the tech points. Not waiting for the tech to finish. /DOH
So, I have felt like I needed to make up for that mistake by purchasing tech points and using them to develop the tech I should have in the first place.

QuoteThe theatre seems to be a nice building with +6 happiness, though a bit heavy on the stone resources.

I can build it, but I am waiting until my defences are in place.

Another thing I wish I had done differently is I invested in some scouting tech.  But without the offline scouting AI that is basically useless to me.  I cant figure out how to buy the crowns necessary to purchase that option so there goes some more wasted tech I should have devoted to Stone/Wood/construction/defence.

mongers

Yes, I made the same mistake with the research techs, figured it would be like almost all other games I'd play. But a nice mechanism to find out about and it makes sense in this game.

Yes, your advice about stone and wood boosting is good, as I'm pretty much bumping along the bottom with my production.

Scouting is useful, and I should have put some some more research in that area as I've noticed other scouts going to resources and cleaning them out.

I rather like the card mechanism, I shall get a bunch of crap ones and then trade them in.

crazy canuck

Yeah, over all I really like the game design.  I am somewhat reliant on the player who controls the Parish (and thankfully the guy seems to know what he is doing) to run the parish well.  There is a quid pro quo with my liege lord - even though he is so far away he cannot know all the plots I have against him - you wont say anything will you?  And I look very suspiciously at people in the neighbouring parish.  Those outsiders cant be up to any good can they?

And there is a whole other level of politics beyond the parish level that I have no idea about at this point - not until I gain higher status and can actually begin to participate at that level.

All in all they capture the feeling of fuedal politics pretty well.