Guardian: Apple would still be highly profitable if production was in U.S.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2012, 06:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2012, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2012, 09:48:42 AM
I play rough.  It's who I am.  It's not my fault Berkut has a tantrum or Marty cries.  I suppose that's who they are.

One of the problems with measuring your success by how much you piss people off is that you can lose track of whether you're achieving your goal by triumphantly speaking truth to power or by being a dick.
That can apply to a number of posters here, though.  For example, grumbler practically jizzes with joy when someone has enough of his antics and snaps at him.

crazy canuck

The one thing we have learned in this thread is Marti = Debbie Downer.  If for no other reason Raz ought to be applauded.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2012, 11:12:54 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2012, 10:27:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2012, 09:48:42 AM
I play rough.  It's who I am.  It's not my fault Berkut has a tantrum or Marty cries.  I suppose that's who they are.

One of the problems with measuring your success by how much you piss people off is that you can lose track of whether you're achieving your goal by triumphantly speaking truth to power or by being a dick.
That can apply to a number of posters here, though.  For example, grumbler practically jizzes with joy when someone has enough of his antics and snaps at him.

He also wets his pants at the prospect of playing the bully - compensation me thinks.

Admiral Yi

The number is not that large.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2012, 11:03:56 AM
I didn't know this was what we are talking about.

I thought we were talking about a very specific problem going on right now and discussing the ability or disireability of the government, as it stands, to correct the problem.

Then the question why we have no faith in government regulation.  I have no faith, with regards to this specific issue, because of the corrupting influence of money and lobbying.  Which, due to the international interests of these corporations and the seeming fact that they have no choice but to participate in the government this way, are not really aligned to the interests of the country.

The idea that all government regulation is inneffective, or at least not without its positive effects that often makes up for its problems, I do not think is one that anybody on this board believes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

That can apply to a number of posters here, though.  For example, grumbler practically jizzes with joy when someone has enough of his antics and snaps at him. notes that he has won the argument when his opponent is unable to answer logical arguments with anything other than lies, strawman arguments, ad hominem attacks, or bursts of tears about "how mean grumbler is."
Fixed.  FWIW, I don't mean you when I mention strawman arguments.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2012, 11:15:16 AM
He also wets his pants at the prospect of playing the bully - compensation me thinks.

Incorrect.  Hell, I don't even wet my pants when I think of you as my opponent, and if the thought of how easy it is to reduce you to lies, tears, strawman arguments, and ad hom attacks isn't pants-wetting-worthy, nothing is.

Tanning your ass isn't the mark of a bully, it is just the mark of a reasonably competent debater.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 11:57:44 AM
That can apply to a number of posters here, though.  For example, grumbler practically jizzes with joy when someone has enough of his antics and snaps at him. notes that he has won the argument when his opponent is unable to answer logical arguments with anything other than lies, strawman arguments, ad hominem attacks, or bursts of tears about "how mean grumbler is."
I did not take it that way, we haven't locked horns in a long time.  Nevertheless, one thing that you and Raz have in common is that the less than polite demeanor you are both known for gives people an easy out when you do crush them logically, which does happen often with both of you.  That's suboptimal if you do want your debate victories to be properly recognized and lauded, rather than leave your vanquished foes with plausible deniability.

crazy canuck

Or, in the case of Grumbler, simply stop taking him seriously.

At least Raz doesnt pretend to be superior.

The Minsky Moment

Far too much interest and attention is being paid to the relative humidity levels in grumbler's pants.
This falls definitively in the too much information category.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2012, 12:31:24 PM
Far too much interest and attention is being paid to the relative humidity levels in grumbler's pants.
This falls definitively in the too much information category.
:lmfao:

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2012, 12:27:18 PM
Or, in the case of Grumbler, simply stop taking him seriously.

At least Raz doesnt pretend to be superior.

I am a humble man, with much to be humble about. :goodboy:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2012, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2012, 11:57:44 AM
I did not take it that way, we haven't locked horns in a long time.  Nevertheless, one thing that you and Raz have in common is that the less than polite demeanor you are both known for gives people an easy out when you do crush them logically, which does happen often with both of you.  That's suboptimal if you do want your debate victories to be properly recognized and lauded, rather than leave your vanquished foes with plausible deniability.

This is no coincidence.  When I sometimes intentionally adopt the debating style of person I am debating.  I use Grumbler's style against him and the Yicratic method against Yi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich

I don't get why people complain about Yi. His questions are usually reasonable (or always, since I can't think of stupid ones).