News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Public functionaries and "conscience clause"

Started by Martinus, April 23, 2012, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2012, 10:43:40 AM
You know, since you were going there anyway, you should have just started there. You don't do circuitous well :lol:

Marty's about as transparent as a sliding glass window.
Too bad he keeps putting his head through it.

Martinus

Actually, I'm most surprised by some of you being fine with the state official refusing to officiate legal marriage. This to me is the most blatant case of discrimination, and the most heinous one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2012, 11:04:09 AM
Actually, I'm most surprised by some of you being fine with the state official refusing to officiate legal marriage. This to me is the most blatant case of discrimination, and the most heinous one.

That's because it wouldn't happen, dummy.  Legal marriage = legal.  State official = bound by state law.
If there's anything heinous going on here, it's your constant and consistent misinterpretation of the terms "legal" and "law" around here.

For fuck's sake, you want to start an argument, start one already.

grumbler

Justices of the Peace are much different in the US than Poland, it would seem.  A JP in the US is not a state official; he or she is someone who has been deputized to act in the place of a state official for specific functions.  A full-time town clerk with the power to officiate at civil ceremonies could not deny a gay couple's lawful request for his services, but a US JP could; US JPs are only "civil officials" when they want to be.

I'm not the most surprised that your are the most surprised over an issue which arises from you misunderstanding the issue that you raised.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 23, 2012, 11:20:01 AM

Justices of the Peace are much different in the US than Poland, it would seem.  A JP in the US is not a state official; he or she is someone who has been deputized to act in the place of a state official for specific functions.

Depends on the state;  in Delaware, for instance, the Justice of the Peace is a sworn judge dealing with traffic and criminal dockets. 
Now in Pennsylvania, yeah, your definition is more accurate.  They're different from the judges, more like magistrates that are elected for a variety of civil processes.

HVC

Been arrested in a lot of places, huh Seedy? :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2012, 11:40:52 AM
Been arrested in a lot of places, huh Seedy? :unsure: :P

Spent a lot of nights in Night Court, my friend.  Read a lot of books on those wooden ass benches. :lol:

HVC

The untold stories of the bails bondsman :D. Ever miss it? I know it could be aggravating, but at least the idiots were criminals not evy league rich boys.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Ed Anger

I spent of nights watching Night Court and prayed to the baby jesus that Markie Post would let me bang her.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
Evy league? :huh:
I blame my phone. I know I'm bad but not that bad. I know some named Evy ( no not one of the strippers :P ) and it must have autocorrected.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 23, 2012, 11:47:00 AM
The untold stories of the bails bondsman :D. Ever miss it? I know it could be aggravating, but at least the idiots were criminals not evy league rich boys.

Yeah, actually I do, more often than not.  :lol:  No Customer Service.  No Human Resources.  No "reaching out" to "make bridges" with "stakeholders" over "forward-facing synergies".  Gimme my money, or pack your toothbrush.  Get your Momma to sign, or you don't get out. 

From time to time I think about getting back into it, but it's a young man's gig, and there simply isn't the money in it anymore.  At least not in Maryland, and it's the kind of thing you really need to know the local scene, it's not something you just up and relocate to another city for.  I couldn't do it anywhere but Mobtown.

So, now I'm just reliving it vicariously by writing about it, which happens to be much safer and less frustrating.  :lol:

I do miss my sledgehammer, though.  Used a label maker for all the doors we broke down with it.  It was like a Stanley Cup for the 'hood.:(

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2012, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2012, 09:48:36 AM
Quote- a state-funded adoption agency refusing to service mixed racial couples,
Illegal discrimination.

Would your answer be different if they were refusing to service same sex couples?
As far as I know same sex couples can't adopt here, but that's certainly not a policy that I support. So it would not be illegal with the current legislation, but I am hopeful that legislation will change during the next few years.

Zanza

The state forcing a civil servant to go against his or her conscience is not a good idea either. Just let another civil servant officiate who doesn't have qualms. What's gained by forcing a civil servant to act against their conscience? That won't make for a nice marriage either.

MadImmortalMan

What if the President is a pacifist and the Germans invade? lolololol
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers