News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civil War Battlefield Recommendations

Started by Kleves, April 22, 2012, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

I am thinking of taking a trip to the heathen East and I wanted to see some Civil War battlefields while I'm there. I want to see Gettysburg, but I was wondering if you guys had any other recommendations. I am probably limited to the southern Pennsylvania/northern Virginia area, but that still leaves a number of possible battlefields to visit. Any recommendations? Oh, and I'll also take any tips about cool Revolutionary/War of 1812 stuff that's around that same area. Thanks, guys.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

A VISION QUEST TO THE EAST.

Colonial Williamsburg is mildly interesting.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Antietam.

I believe pretty much most of the rest are much further south.

grumbler

The Manassas/Bull Run battlefields are nice (especially 1st Manassas).  There's not much left of the Wilderness or Fredricksburg battlefields. 

Antietam and Harper's Ferry are worth a visit, and fairly close to one another. 

For 1812, there's Fort McHenry and the faux Constellation, but that's a long drive for not much payoff.  If you're going through Balmer anyone, then it's worth a stop.

Let me know when you get out this way.  I am less than an hour south of Manassas.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I enjoyed the Battle of the Crater site.

I second Harper's Ferry.

Caliga

I recommend Gettysburg, Antietam, and Mansassas.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2012, 06:46:52 PM
The Manassas/Bull Run battlefields are nice (especially 1st Manassas).  There's not much left of the Wilderness or Fredricksburg battlefields. 

Antietam and Harper's Ferry are worth a visit, and fairly close to one another.

Most definitely. There's a lot more to Harper's Ferry than people think.

QuoteFor 1812, there's Fort McHenry and the faux Constellation, but that's a long drive for not much payoff.

HEY NOW

We're up to our asses in 1812 goodness here.

Tonitrus

I remember Manassas having a very Soviet-esque statue of Jackson...complete with a horse that had biceps Schwarzenegger would envy.