And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2009, 03:38:13 AM
ST reboot is a wonderous idea.
Doing it with time travel....probally not.

This.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: vinraith on May 06, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
*shrug* To each their own. Recasting those parts puts me right off, but it's clear enough I'm in a small minority in that regard. Then again, I'm kind of used to that by now. :D

I didn't realize Bernd Schneider posted here. :P

Anyway, sanctity of the original be damned, the franchise has been foundering for some time and needs a swift kick to either end it or get it back up again. The problem is just that time travel as a reboot mechanism happens to be a sore spot with most sci-fi fans.
Experience bij!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 06, 2009, 05:36:32 PM
Quote from: vinraith on May 06, 2009, 11:20:51 AM
*shrug* To each their own. Recasting those parts puts me right off, but it's clear enough I'm in a small minority in that regard. Then again, I'm kind of used to that by now. :D

I didn't realize Bernd Schneider posted here. :P

Anyway, sanctity of the original be damned, the franchise has been foundering for some time and needs a swift kick to either end it or get it back up again. The problem is just that time travel as a reboot mechanism happens to be a sore spot with most sci-fi fans.
That's because it works as an occasional episode, not as the central plot device after two other Trek movies used it.  This isn't Doctor Who.  Doctor Who kicks ass. 

If they are gonna 're-imagine' things they should imagine up a good plot that doesn't rely on tired lame stock like time travel. 
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2009, 05:29:52 PM
Quote from: Delirium on May 06, 2009, 09:07:50 AMsay the Tim Burton version is better as a whole,

Tim Burton is the Michael Bay of pseudo-fantasy shit, chock full of heady uber-goth Victorian-steampunk Timmay-spooge goodness.

You make it sound like a bad thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

starbright

I will go to one of those 4 am viewings.

Delirium

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 09:12:41 AM
What?  You've gone mental.  Keaton is the man.

Keaton was up against Jack Nicholson, that gives him some points out of pity. But even Val Kilmer is a better actor than Keaton.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Savonarola

As I've mentioned before, I went to a Technological University in the early 90's when Star Trek The Next Generation was still on the air (and after the awful seasons had passed.)  I never followed the series that closely, but many of may fellow students loved the series with a bright, burning, nerdly passion.  I once drove a friend into a near blind rage when I scoffed at deflector shields.

Unfortunately I've lost touch with him over the years; he would have been the ideal person to see this movie with.  I've still got some friends who are trekkies; I plan to see the film with them.  That way if the film is bad I'll at least get some amusement by listening to them complain about how non-canon everything is.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 06, 2009, 05:36:32 PM

Time travel is a usually a warning sign; it's the "A wizard did it" of Sci-fi.  Also the film is supposed to take place, in part, at the Starfleet Academy.  I'm not looking forward to seeing Starfleet Mahoney and Starfleet Hightower.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Friends are going to watch it tomorrow. I'll skip that one.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on May 07, 2009, 06:55:47 AMTime travel is a usually a warning sign; it's the "A wizard did it" of Sci-fi.  Also the film is supposed to take place, in part, at the Starfleet Academy.  I'm not looking forward to seeing Starfleet Mahoney and Starfleet Hightower.

But if there is a Starfleet Michael Winslow, it will more than make up for things.  Imagine how cool it'd be to hear him making phaser and transporter noises, and imitating Spock.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

All you goddamn Michael Keaton haters can burn in hell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Thread is incomplete without:
Star Trekking
Raumschiff Edelweiss (Edelweiss is a very popular Austrian Hefeweizen beer)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Cecil

Amazingly this movie is starting to rack up very high scores in the major papers over here.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 09:55:59 PM
I'll watch it, even though time-travelling Romulans from the future is a stupid idea, as is fucking up the timeline.

Time traveling villains are a Standard Trek trope. :contract:

Keeps the movie grounded in Federation space. :P
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2009, 07:18:54 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 07:10:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2009, 03:38:13 AM
ST reboot is a wonderous idea.
Rebooting any franchise is a stupid idea.  Never once has it produced something that didn't suck.

Batman?
Inferior to the original.

The 1941 Serial? then yes. all the Batman movies/TV since have not lived up to all the Tojo bashing  & camp/noir sensibilty from Director Lambert Hillyer in that.
:p