STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

That was uhm... interesting.

Some musings that include spoilers so beware

- I liked jealous La'an and he over all arc this season
- the Kirk brothers have great chemistry
- pike has a good voice (unless he was dubbed)
- boy band klingons were entertaining but I expected opera. Worf would be displeased
- did kirk know about David this early on?

Overall I think the episode would have been way better without the singing. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on August 03, 2023, 07:20:54 PM- boy band klingons were entertaining but I expected opera. Worf would be displeased

When first showing up the Klingons refered to the incident being a great dishonor - I guess it was foreshadowed? :D (This goes into the same file as the Tribble Wars for the Klingons, I assume.)

I was actually pleased that they wrapped it into a reasonably Trek plot with tons tech jargon (the Heisenberg Compensators got a decent workout this week - they were introduced in Trek to get around Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle to make the transporters work. Mike Okuda was once asked how the work, and he replied, "The work very well, thanks." ) And an anomaly that makes you confess your innermost feelings when in heightened emotional state ... still fine, it's up there with The Naked Time and The Naked Now.

Not sure how I feel about the introduction of improbability fields to the Trek canon - sure it's a handwavy thing to explain that reality has been altered to introduce musical numbers. But I feel it takes us a step closer to building an infinite improbability drive in Trek (though I guess Discovery's spore drive was already kinda that, at least in outcome :P ).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Tribbles were an ecological menace. A mortal enemy of the Klingon empire. It was Honorable to wipe them out. Many songs were sung and what not :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Josephus

I found the musical idea great...for a couple songs; then wore out it's welcome. I think I started to zone out when Ohara started singing.

I'm pretty sure, though I may be wrong, they were all dubbed? thoughts on that?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2023, 06:11:33 AMI found the musical idea great...for a couple songs; then wore out it's welcome. I think I started to zone out when Ohara started singing.

The actress who plays Uhura is an actual singer I believe. I figured the others are heavily autotuned but not necessarily dubed. Except pike. The singing was good but his voice sounded the most off. But some peoples singing voices are very different, so who knows (the credits probably know :D )

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 04, 2023, 06:11:33 AMI found the musical idea great...for a couple songs; then wore out it's welcome. I think I started to zone out when Ohara started singing.

Some moments were ok, but I'm not a fan of musicals.  Critics are raving about it, obviously.  Many fans seems to like it too.

We might just be the weirdos.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I loved it.

I wonder who the brave soul was who pitched that concept.

viper37

Lower Decks season 4 this Thursday.
Does not seem to be available on CTV Sci-Fi.  And as I suspected, I can not stream from their site.

I think I'm going to be done with cable.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Paramount took the Star Trek series back from Crave. Most should now, finally, be available on Paramount+ in Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Well that is terrible news

Grey Fox

It's the best kind of news.

crazy canuck

Why would you subscribe to paramount?

HVC

Just checked lower decks still shows on CTV Sci-Fi website, and they have a sept 7th premier banner :unsure:

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 06, 2023, 10:09:08 AMWhy would you subscribe to paramount?

To watch Star Trek? The real question is What steps can you take to avoid giving BCE money?

HVC

Only ones they're missing is DS9, TNG and Voyager, which is off because the actual channel is like 50% reruns of those shows

*edit * prodigy, discovery, and Picard have "leaving soon" tags though.