News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2023, 02:55:43 PMStill have a few like the tholians and the Breen haven't been wiped out like cardasia. They can always make more, it's the joy of fantasy :D

*edit* And lower decks is the TNG/DS9/VOY era.

And all those shows came out 30 years ago.  It's "the past".

As for the others... the Breen were defeated alongside the Dominion.  No idea what happened to them afterwards.  Tholians are still out there, haven't heard anything about them other than a few oblique references in DS9.

But more fundamentally, Breen wear masks and Tholians are CGI spiders.  There's never been a compelling character from either race.  There's no Gul Dukat, no Sela, no General Chang, no Wayoun... and there really can never be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2023, 03:09:48 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2023, 02:55:43 PMStill have a few like the tholians and the Breen haven't been wiped out like cardasia. They can always make more, it's the joy of fantasy :D

lies! That can't be :weep:

When i think past in trek I think tos, but yeah I guess it is the past now.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2023, 03:11:41 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2023, 03:09:48 PM

lies! That can't be :weep:

When i think past in trek I think tos, but yeah I guess it is the past now.

TNG is probably closer to TOS than it is to today.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on June 26, 2023, 02:58:27 PMSeason two of SNW feels weaker. Or is that just me?

Latest episode takes place in Toronto. 😁
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Neither the Breen nor the Orion could sustain a prolonged war with Starfleet alone.

They would need to know for sure Starfleet could not retaliate before attacking.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 29, 2023, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 26, 2023, 02:58:27 PMSeason two of SNW feels weaker. Or is that just me?

Latest episode takes place in Toronto. 😁

And they blew part of it up. Which should please some in Canada :D

Shows filmed in Mississauga  , so cheap location shoots.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Syt

I liked the little in-joke, "It's New York!" "... no, we're in Toronto," considering how often NYC scenes are filmed there. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2023, 02:32:21 AMI liked the little in-joke, "It's New York!" "... no, we're in Toronto," considering how often NYC scenes are filmed there. :lol:

Yeah, it didn't hit me at the time, but later I was thinking about that scene, and I realized, yeah, they're obviously poking fun at that.

I'm thinking, though, how much money he would have had to have won playing chess. That hotel suite downtown wouldn't come cheap.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Alternate timeline stuff:
[Spoiler]

It's cold.
Kirk is from space, never been on Earth.
Toronto is cheap.

And I haven't watched the entire episode yet...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I enjoyed The Elder Scrolls: Enterprise. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

I liked the last two episodes. The last ones threat of the week was a little plot hole-y but it's is Star Trek after all :D

HVC

Great episode. Loved hen pecked Vulcan husband.

Josephus

I shared a hotel room once with Mia Kirshner (Spock's mom in this episode)

:showoff:
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on July 13, 2023, 09:29:56 PMI shared a hotel room once with Mia Kirshner (Spock's mom in this episode)

:showoff:

I looked it up, because she looked too young to be Spock's mom - she's only 11 years older than Ethan Peck. :D

I enjoyed the episode, and Spock being the comic relief of the show is an unexpected but fun twist (the scene with Lt. Kirk and "his mess" was amazing :lol: ), but I hope it doesn't become too much of a trope. Season 1: Spock and T'Pring change bodies! Season 2: Spock becomes human and has to deal with his super-traditional Vulcan in-laws! Season 3: ???

Overall, I think Trek is doing a good job with recasting characters, btw. I was skeptical about Paul Wesley as Kirk, but the Toronto episode fully put that to rest for me. (Though Karl Urban as McCoy probably remains the best :wub: ) I wish Star Wars was willing to do this instead of relying on CGI trickery. Hell, regardless of what you thought of the movie Solo, I thought Alden Ehrenreich as Han and Donald Glover as Lando were great.
—Stephen Jay Gould