News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Captain Shaw is the best Starfleet captain since Jellicoe.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2023, 05:59:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 17, 2023, 04:21:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 17, 2023, 10:48:41 AMWell?

Good start. Looking forward to this season.
Indeed.
But Jonathan Frakes' acting bothers me more than during TNG's run.

Yes. You want to smack that silly grin off him.

Yep

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 17, 2023, 08:46:22 PMCaptain Shaw is the best Starfleet captain since Jellicoe.

And yep

celedhring

First episode of Picard season 3 is what I expected the show would be when they first announced it. Getting the band together for one last ride.

The whole scenario of "elder statesman yearning for the old days and a last adventure now that he sees his life at an end" would work so much better if the previous 2 seasons hadn't already happened, though.

I sorta dug it, anyway. Although I've always liked the first eps of the previous 2 shows and then everything turned into a mess.

FunkMonk

For me it helps to just forget about the first two seasons and pretend they never happened. Sort of like how I pretend the star wars sequel trilogy never happened.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Yeah, forget the first two seasons. I mean Picard is dead, right? I never quite understand. His consciousness was put into another aging body?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 19, 2023, 04:05:24 AMFor me it helps to just forget about the first two seasons and pretend they never happened. Sort of like how I pretend the star wars sequel trilogy never happened.  :D

:yes:

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on February 19, 2023, 06:56:12 AMYeah, forget the first two seasons. I mean Picard is dead, right? I never quite understand. His consciousness was put into another aging body?

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about that dumb twist at the end of S1  :lol:

We killed Picard! Shock!
But no, he's alive again! He's a robot now! Except he's getting still getting old and shit!

Josquius

This is a world where nobody questions the obvious akcually question on teleportation.
I think a body transfer doesn't count as dead.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Episode 2 was fun. Again, lots of nonsensical stuff like Picard pulling rank at the end. Wasn't he retired? Why didn't he do it when they first boarded the ship?

Also, putting his own feelings before the welfare of the crew seems a bit un-Picard, but that ship sailed in season 1 and by this time has probably sank at Cape Horn.

Best things so far are Cpt Shaw and Amanda Plummer chewing scenery as hard as she chews her cigar.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 28, 2023, 11:06:08 AMBest things so far are Cpt Shaw and Amanda Plummer chewing scenery as hard as she chews her cigar.
Yes, she is a great actress.  And the first time in Star Trek where Jean-Luc Picard is pronounced without an English accent.  Amazing!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Discovery is pushed back to 2024 for additional filming and it will be its last season.
Link
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I used to like Gates McFadden, back in the day, but oh....that facelift...
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on March 03, 2023, 11:38:51 AMI used to like Gates McFadden, back in the day, but oh....that facelift...

She's in her mid 70s, don't think your crush would have survived this long, facelift or no :D

She still has great acting chemistry with Patrick Stewart though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: viper37 on March 02, 2023, 10:23:45 PMDiscovery is pushed back to 2024 for additional filming and it will be its last season.
Link
They should replace it with The Orville.
PDH!

PRC

I watched the first season of Picard, and while I enjoyed some aspects of it and the production value, overall I found the plot and writing a total disappointment.  Season two I only caught an episode of so can't comment on that.  So far in season three I am once again enjoying the production value, but find the writing to be abysmal and the acting (other than Captain Shaw) to once again be unsatisfying.