News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

STAR TREK

Started by Phillip V, May 05, 2009, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2022, 07:36:36 AMEngineer with Scottish accent ... teaser for Season 2? :P The voice was credited as "Engineer" and was provided by Matthew Wolf: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0937869/?ref_=m_ttfcd_cl23
Not yet.  That was 7 years into the future.

He's not joining the Enterprise until some 5-6 years from now. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

In case anyone wants to watch all live action Star Trek in chronological order, here's a list:

http://thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.com/2009/09/and-now-conclusion.html

I notice the Kelvin timeline movies are slotted after Nemesis - I guess it makes sense, since the timeline is branched off due to events happening after that movie (Spock trying to save Romulus and failing).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I guess the depressing(?) bit is, I've watched all of that at some point in my life. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Shatner channels old man energy, rants about star trek

https://www.ign.com/articles/william-shatner-goes-off-on-star-trek-gene-roddenberry-would-be-turning-in-his-grave?amp=1

Also has strong opinion on star wars. Like amrk hamil though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Best of the nuTreks are going to cross over

https://gizmodo.com/comic-con-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-lower-decks-cros-1849220840

QuoteStar Trek: Strange New Worlds and Star Trek: Lower Decks Will Have a Crossover Episode (Really!)

It's an all-out Trek mania, as The Next Generation's Jonathan Frakes will direct the live-action/animation hybrid.

ByJames Whitbrook

Star Trek's been making some pretty bold moves in its current ascendant era of shows, but it's just announced it's pulling one of its boldest, most bonkers moves so far: Lower Decks is teaming up with Strange New Worlds.

Just announced at San Diego Comic-Con, in Strange New Worlds' second season—which already has enough on its Trek plate to deal with thanks to the return of Captain Kirk! Again!—will feature a Jonathan Frakes-directed crossover between Trek's newest show and its animated darling, Lower Decks. Although we don't know how they're going to show up a century in the past yet (it's Star Trek, it won't be that hard), Jack Quaid and Tawny Newsome will reprise their Lower Decks roles as Ensigns Bomiler and Mariner, announcing the news after crashing almost literally into Anson Mount's appearance at the Star Trek Universe panel this afternoon.

Quaid and Newsome will be voicing their roles, rather than physically starring as live-action versions of their Lower Decks heroes, too: the special episode will feature a hybrid of live-action and animation to make one of the most unlikely of Star Trek team-ups to ever happen, well, actually happen.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has yet to be given a return date for its sophomore season; meanwhile Star Trek: Lower Decks will return to Paramount+ on August 25. We'll bring you more on Trek's plans to smush the two together as and when we learn them.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Anyone watching Lowed Decks Season 3?

First two episodes have been great.

But what I really like is how each episode is jam-packed with call-backs and easter-eggs, they're actually doing some character development for our animated heroes.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 11:57:41 AMAnyone watching Lowed Decks Season 3?

First two episodes have been great.

But what I really like is how each episode is jam-packed with call-backs and easter-eggs, they're actually doing some character development for our animated heroes.
Watched the first episode, it was hilarious.  Will watch 2nd one tonight.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Thanks, forgot it was back. Until SNW lower decks was the best trek since DS9
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Latest Lower Decks was great.  The return of Peanut Hamper!

HVC

it was good, but weakest so far. ending cameo was great though

Syt

This week's episode was better than last week's. I don't like Peanut Hamper (or rather the bratty valley girl affectation), and half of last week's episode was "WTF am I watching?", and the bait & switch on her redemption left me more annoyed than amused. It had funny moments, but it also felt more like an 80s Saturday morning cartoon episode, overall.

This week's episode was better, as said, but didn't reach the highs of e.g. the DS9 episode, or Reflections. It was very meta, making tons of references to the Trek movies, but also how fans like/hate certain parts of the franchise. It was very on the nose, but still amusing. And of course deliberate callbacks to the original cast movies, esp. Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, and Generations (and possibly First Contact with the Octopus/Algae dialogue?), and of course "These are the Voyages" from Enterprise (founding of the Federation).

Loved that they called the one planet Tatasciore IX, Fred Tatasciore being a prolific voice actor who also voices Shaxs.

Anyone recognize the voice of the Section 31 officer at the end? :unsure: And it seems they really lean into the conspiracy stuff now between Will Boimler and Rutherford's backstory. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So, uhm ... Starbase 80 is basically crewed by the guys from Carpenter's Dark Star, it seems? :lol:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Yet to finish the most recent series of Discovery though my GF has confirmed she has no interest in Picard so I've started series 2 when she isn't around.
Understandable she wouldn't be that bothered considering how mediocre S1 was, only really being one for the long-term fans with all its fanservice, and Discovery's quality.
S2 of Picard however...halfway through now and holy poo, this is actually good.  :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Season 1 of Star Trek: Prodigy has concluded, at 20 episodes one of the longer outings of ... well, any show these days. :P

I'm gonna go and say: this is one of the best first seasons of a Star Trek show. SNW is better, but I think it has Discovery beat, easily.

That said - the first five or six episodes were difficult to sit through. They made the main character so incredibly unlikable that when the show went on break half way through the first half of the season I wasn't sure if I would come back to it.

I'm glad I did, and the character does fortunately get redeemed, making for a satisfying arc.

This is very much a "for all ages" show, aimed at a younger audience and also trying to onboard new viewers, so you get some exposition about tech and cultures. But while has an overall more positive outlook, but also deals with some heavier subjects. And a main focus is a bunch of very different characters coming together as a team and maturing.

But once the exposition gets out of the way, around the mid-season two part finale, it really takes off.

It has strong Star Wars: Rebels energy, and some of the episodes are just really good Trek episodes. Overall it's a mix of overarching plot and stand-alones, but it all ties together (the occasional plot hole notwithstanding).

The animation is gorgeous, the voice cast is great (John Noble :wub: ), and while it doesn't feature as many easter eggs as Lower Decks, it has a fair amount of nostalgia.

It also has a decent mystery set at its core (what happened to Chakotay and the original crew of the Protostar and what led to the events that drove the Big Bad).

I'm really glad I gave this another chance. I put it up together with SNW and LD as my favorite new Trek.
—Stephen Jay Gould