Men don't read hair removal instructions, suffer

Started by Sheilbh, April 19, 2012, 08:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteMen pay price for not reading instructions on hair removal cream as review pages detail painful genital experiences
By DEBORAH ANDREWS
PUBLISHED: 14:31, 19 April 2012 | UPDATED: 16:34, 19 April 2012

For many women, learning to cope with the pain of hair removal is something they take in their stride.

But for men, the basics of preening don't always come so easily - judging by some of the unfortunate experiences documented in reviews of a new hair removal cream.

Men in search of the perfect smooth body have been painfully caught out applying Veet for Men hair removal gel a little too liberally, it seems.

Despite the instructions clearly stating the cream is for back, chest, arms , legs and underarms only, many men are risking their health by using the cream to remove hair from their genitals - and are forced to suffer the consequences.

One reviewer, Andrew, writes of the bestselling cream on the Amazon website that the testicles he 'knew and loved' are gone now. He goes on to say that his testicles are now 'maroon coloured' and causing him excruciating agony, sending 'stabs of pain' up his body every time they graze against his thigh or an article of clothing.

Another hapless man who may from now be opt for a professional wax wrote: 'If you are a run of the mill bloke trying to remove some unwanted hair from some unwanted places, this product will make you cry.

The £7.95 cream has been reviewed dozens of times on Amazon by men who have had bad experiences

'You may find out the hard way and wake up one morning with an extremely high voice and notice you have no more testicles and being officially classed as a eunuch.'

He added: 'Like 90 percent of the reviews on the page. I would say we have all suffered from making the terrible mistake of vandalising one's self in ways we shouldn't.'

Veet for Men comes in a 200 ml tube and is described as 'a quick and effective way to remove body hair' that 'leaves your skin feeling smoother for up to twice as long as shaving.'

It costs £7.95 and men are advised it is suitable for the back, chest, arms, legs and underarms only.

It is listed as one of Amazon's best selling health and beauty products - a rise that can be attributed to the growing trend for men preferring a hairless, 'metroxexual' look.

Another reviewer, writing under the name Mr Alexander-Brown, said: "You gotta (sic) read the instructions. Especially when you're doing your nether regions, err on the side of caution,' before going on to complain about 'burny, weepy' skin.

Another - whose review comes under the headline 'Disclaimer: Do not use if born south of Sheffield', wrote: 'Probably the first thing you will notice after using this product is the pain.

'Although as a man I lack the required experience, I'm going to estimate that using this product is at least eleven times more painful than childbirth.

'Imagine sticking a rusty razor blade into your eye, before tying your hands behind your back. Then imagine that you use the
entrenched razor blade to slice open a raw onion. All the while being butt naked. This product is slightly more painful than that.'

The product has attracted 67 customer reviews on the Amazon website (despite the pain it seems to cause when wrongly applied) - with the majority, surprisingly, giving it a five star rating.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I am surprised that such a product exists in the first place.  Why do men need to remove hair? 

DontSayBanana

:lol: Funnily enough, the only person I know who tried using chemical stuff for pubic hair removal was a female friend of mine.
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on April 19, 2012, 08:59:03 PM
I am surprised that such a product exists in the first place.  Why do men need to remove hair?

Poor Mrs. Mono. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

See, this is the big drawback on testing cosmetic products on animals.  They can't tell you their balls are on fire.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on April 19, 2012, 08:59:03 PM

This. Maybe men should spend less time trying to look like prepubescent teens and just trim a bit when the weeds get crazy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

:lol:

I can't wait to read the "news" article about the magical properties of The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee.

The product reviews said it was on true Amazon, it must be true.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on April 19, 2012, 10:35:09 PM

I can't wait to read the "news" article about the magical properties of The Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee.

You've never woken up singing like a castrati?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I agree with Mono.
Keep yourself trim- totally.
But...hair is where hair is for a reason. The chafing which results from removing hair from unsighlty places is not pleasant.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2012, 10:43:37 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 19, 2012, 10:35:09 PM

You've never woken up singing like a castrati?

Not that I can remember.  I only remove hair from my face though.

I'm not sure what that has to do with an article that uses Amazon.com user reviews as a primary source.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2012, 11:25:55 PM
I agree with Mono.
But...hair is where hair is for a reason. The chafing which results from removing hair from unsighlty places is not pleasant.

I shave my armpits to the skin.  It's great.

Just trim the pubes, though.  If someone asked, I'd get it waxed, I suppose.

I did shave my legs once to see what it would look like.  Pretty great for about twelve hours, then terrifying.  Never.  Again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

How strange.  I'm covered in a thick layer of hair.  Hell, I haven't shaved or gotten a haircut in the last 8 months.  I've got this whole "dangerous lunatic" look going now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2012, 11:37:57 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2012, 11:25:55 PM
I agree with Mono.

I shave my armpits to the skin.  It's great.

Just trim the pubes, though.  If someone asked, I'd get it waxed, I suppose.

I did shave my legs once to see what it would look like.  Pretty great for about twelve hours, then terrifying.  Never.  Again.
:pinch:
Doesn't that hurt?
in a fit of bordom I once shaved my pits.
Ouch.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

I don't know any women who've used hair removal cream in the last 15 years. It's shaving or waxing all the way among the women I discuss the subject with, with occasional threading and laser removal.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2012, 11:37:57 PM
I did shave my legs once to see what it would look like. 

Did you put on lipstick and wear a skirt too?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?