News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harper appeases Danish imperialism!

Started by Barrister, April 18, 2012, 01:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I never thought I'd see the day when Stephen Harper would knuckle under to Danish imperialism and surrender what is sovereign Canadian soil.  :(

QuoteMatt Gurney: After eight years, Canada and Denmark are ready to talk peace
Matt Gurney  Apr 11, 2012 – 12:35 PM ET | Last Updated: Apr 11, 2012 4:14 PM ET

Department of National Defence
Canada's dispute with Denmark over Hans Island captured international attention as much for its absurdity as its potential seriousness. A new proposal would see the two countries split ownership of the small island.

Comments Email Twitter inShare13The National Post has learned that Canada and Denmark are apparently this close to hammering out a deal over Hans Island, the vitally important strategic chokepoint that has kept these two warrior nations on the brink of mutual annihilation for the last eight years. With a little luck and perhaps some Annan-style shuttle diplomacy, our long national nightmare might soon be over.

The plan is brilliant for its simplicity. There will be no exchange of atomic energy monitors, no prisoner swaps, and no gradual pullbacks to the positions the countries held on the first day of the costly conflict. Neither side will have to disarm its military forces or surrender commanders for war crimes trials. Instead, the deal under discussion between Ottawa and Copenhagen would take Hans Island, a rock roughly a square kilometre in size and — get this — simply divide it in half.

There's a certain beauty to this arrangement. Hans Island, which rests between Canada's peace-loving Ellesmere Island and Danish-occupied Greenland, exists in legal limbo. The two sides have already agreed to a maritime border, but never defined how Hans itself was divided. The peace plan, if successfully implemented, would take that imaginary line in the ocean and extend it right through Hans Island, dividing it almost perfectly in half. There is no word yet on whether the divided Hans Island would need a peacekeeping force, group of UN observers or Korean Peninsula-style demilitarized zone to separate Free Hans Island from Danish-Occupied Oppression Land (the other 500 square metres).

This assumes that the two sides are able to come to an agreement, of course. That's far from certain. Neither Canada nor Denmark wants to admit defeat in this long struggle. "The political complexities of making an announcement are, in many ways, much more complicated than settling the actual territorial dispute," said Whitney Lackenbauer, associate professor of history at St. Jerome's University. "Both governments publicly staked their sovereignty claims. The early messaging of 'standing up for Canada' puts our government in a difficult position."

Very true. We can only pray that Denmark's war-mongering leaders appreciate the position Canada is in. There's nothing more dangerous than a frightened, cornered beaver. And we are certainly ready to fight — on Wednesday, one of Canada's submarines was successfully lowered into the ocean without sinking, and another recently fired a torpedo. Even if Denmark chose to resist in the face of such overwhelming naval odds, in a war of attrition, Canada would prevail while still having a totally respectable 29 million people left over. Dansk, meanwhile, would be spoken only in hell.

Clearly, such a conflict would serve the interests of no one outside the arms manufacturing community. It is imperative that the world's diplomats focus their efforts on where they are truly needed. The rest of the world's problems are clearly small fry next to the simmering hostility between two advanced democratic NATO allies pitted against each other over control of a contested pebble located somewhere north of nowhere. Because clearly, this is an issue that no two nations could reasonably be expected to figure out on their own.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/04/11/matt-gurney-move-over-syria-canada-and-denmark-are-ready-to-talk-peace/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

If we are to take half, we better get the southern half.   Leave the war mongering Danes the Northern colder half.  Otherwise, its war!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

I'm outraged that Helle gives in to Canada's bullying and gives away half the island in the first place. Obviously the "eh" people have no base for their claims and only recently were they even able to plant a flag on the island, while valiant Danes, by ice and by sea, have reinforced the claims for decades.

Seriously. The Canadian claim was not really as rock solid as the island and they needed to show an amiable solution could be found before things went to actual trial, in particuallr in the light of the upcoming more difficult debates with US, Russia, over the northern parts where no map really have been drawn.

Also, Denmark can and will continue their presence up there, but an amiable solution is far more cost efficient.

What I'm really curious about is what agreement they have made on mineral rights.

V

EDIT: According to Wiki: In July 2007, owing to updated satellite imagery, Canadian authorities admitted that the island is not solely in Canadian territory, but recognized that the international border lies roughly in the middle of the island.[8]

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

I'm curious about the Danish interest in Hans Island since the island would be a part of Greenland, not Denmark proper.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
Who would win a war between the two?

Dunno, too busy reading article 5 of the north atlantic treaty.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on April 19, 2012, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
Who would win a war between the two?

Dunno, too busy reading article 5 of the north atlantic treaty.

But treaties are meant to be broken. Does the article still hold if both belligerents are member states? :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valdemar on April 19, 2012, 07:13:31 AM
I'm outraged that Helle gives in to Canada's bullying and gives away half the island in the first place.

It is we who are giving.  Now be happy with your good fortune that you are not thrown into the sea.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2012, 09:25:12 AMDoes the article still hold if both belligerents are member states? :hmm:
I don't think so.  See Greece and Turkey - repeatedly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

So what is on Hans island?  Hookers?  Blow?  Monkey Chow?  Booze?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 05:52:07 PM
I don't think so.  See Greece and Turkey - repeatedly.

When have they actually crossed swords?