News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has anyone played Crown of Glory from Matrix Games?

Started by Berkut, March 12, 2009, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Nothing to report.  I think Berkut was overwhelmed.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

That being said, it'd be nice to get 3-5 people together to do PBEM of this...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Can you update the original version to the new one for, like, free?

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2009, 02:30:30 AM

Yeah, I had that with the huge WW3 scenario in TOAW with him.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2009, 03:02:39 AM
Can you update the original version to the new one for, like, free?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2047544
QuoteIf you own a copy of the original Crown of Glory, you are entitled to a $10 discount coupon. Instructions on how to get your coupon and how to use it in the store are available at the link below. Please note that each Crown of Glory serial number is only entitled to one coupon for the Emperor's Edition and once you have retrieved it, we cannot re-send it to you (so don't lose it before you use it!).

http://www.matrixgames.com/discount/cogee.asp
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Is it worth it? I saw the potential in the game, but ultimately I just could not spend much time with it.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2009, 06:16:34 AM
Is it worth it? I saw the potential in the game, but ultimately I just could not spend much time with it.

How would I know? I buy games, I don't play them.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2009, 02:30:30 AM

Yeah, I just couldn't get the time to play the PBEM game you sen....oh wait.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

VERY steep learning curve. I havent decided (did not play much) if there is a decent game behind all this difficulty, but there is certainly hope for that.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2009, 01:58:56 PM
VERY steep learning curve. I havent decided (did not play much) if there is a decent game behind all this difficulty, but there is certainly hope for that.

Well find the fuck out pls.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I would find out by sending Berkut a PBEM file, but turns I send him seem to disappear into some magic void zone.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Have been playing as Austria in the 1805 GC.

Hard to do much at start in SP as Austria since you have no way of cooperating movements with AI Russia, so the Grande Armee is bound to whoop your ass. Lost Vienna then was forced to surrender once national morale collapsed.

And this brings me to the most impressive feature so far: diplomacy. France took 3 of my provinces (Tyrol and two czech ones), and forced an alliance between us.

Then it proceeded toward Russia. Captured two border provinces after which Russia surrendered. Terms were Corfu, 10 points of colonies, a 1 year ban on alliance between Russian and Britain, and 33% of Russia's income for two months.

In the meantime Spain formed an anti-British  pact with Prussia and Turkey, but that did not make peace between France and Turkey so the French armies blitzed to Istanbul, and Turkey surrendered before the capital fall. Price was Cyprus, and reduction of Turkish forces and defense buildings. And sadly an alliance with France, so now Ottomans are in war with Britain, and I cant backstab them.

So I like diplomacy: very flexible (there are tons of options) and the AI seems to make good use of them. (Prussia for example has formulated a treaty of defensive alliance between them, me, and Sweden, paying some money to me as reward)

Advanced economy is still beyond me: I grasp the concepts and such, it aint that hard, but microing it seems tedious, but also seem to give additional details much helping non-war aspects.

Tamas

Oh and there are nice historical events, some with choices. Like recently France enacted the continental blockade that way.