Has anyone played Crown of Glory from Matrix Games?

Started by Berkut, March 12, 2009, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

They just released a new edition, which looks pretty interesting, and I am a sucker for multi-player PBEM capable games.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

szmik

I played solo campaign for a while, battles (with counters on hex map) are the most entertaining parts for me, but they are not feasible for PBEM imho.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Berkut

The tactical battles generally are not played out when doing PBEM.

0 rows returned

szmik

Which unfortunately takes fun out of the game. :|
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

I got the new version. Looks much more polished than the (original) beta I played back when, but I haven't had enough time to play with it yet to comment much. First game was Prussia, making defensive treaties with Austria and Poland, then stomped on Saxony. The Russians didn't like that and PWNED me. Tactical battles were a bit of fun and came in two optional scales: division or brigade (one division is split into two or so brigades), didn't check the new navy battles yet, though.

Forums look pretty positive, and it seems popular with the folks who enjoyed Forge of Freedom (which seems to have improved a fair bit, too).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Me and Habs both bought this alst night. In preperation, I just order Swords Around A Throne and The Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649.

Yes, I realize that the second one doesn't cover the relevant time frame, but I cannot bring myself to read the second book in that series before the first. So there.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on March 13, 2009, 09:17:48 AM
Me and Habs both bought this alst night. In preperation, I just order Swords Around A Throne and The Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649.

Yes, I realize that the second one doesn't cover the relevant time frame, but I cannot bring myself to read the second book in that series before the first. So there.

Try Georges Blond's La Grand Armee. Readable, and should be cheap used.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

A really good overview is:
Napoleon's Wars: An International History, 1803-1815
QuoteA magisterial account of the wars that engulfed Europe during the rise and fall of Napoleon.

No military figure in history has been quite as polarizing as Napoleon Bonaparte. Was he a monster, driven by an endless, ruinous quest for military glory? Or a social and political visionary brought down by petty, reactionary kings of Europe? In the definitive account to date, respected historian Charles Esdaile argues that the chief motivating factor for Napoleon was his insatiable desire for fame. More than a myth-busting portrait of Napoleon, however, this volume offers a panoramic view of the armed conflicts that spread so quickly out of revolutionary France to countries as remote as Sweden and Egypt. Napoleon's Wars seeks to answer the question, What was it that made the countries of Europe fight one another for so long and with such devastating results? Esdaile portrays the European battles as the consequence of rulers who were willing to take the immense risks of either fighting or supporting Napoleon—risks that resulted in the extinction of entire countries. This is history writing equal to its subject—grand and ambitious—that will join Viking's impressive backlist of European history titles, such as Tim Blanning's The Pursuit of Glory and Diarmaid MacCulloch's The Reformation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Swords Around A Throne
:P  Great, great book.  Easily my favorite Napoleonic title.  Elting was one of the most entertaining writers ever to do Napoleonic history, and a real character to boot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2009, 09:39:52 AM
Swords Around A Throne
:P  Great, great book.  Easily my favorite Napoleonic title.  Elting was one of the most entertaining writers ever to do Napoleonic history, and a real character to boot.

You should play with us grumbler.

Actually, would you like Seedys spot in our Nappy Wars game? He has been as reliable as expected.

0 rows returned

grumbler

I am off to Cold Wars to flg my books this weekend, but if you still need a Nappy Wars player starting Sunday night, I can do that.  Spring Break starts this weekend, so I should have some time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 13, 2009, 06:48:46 PM
Aren't you a bit too old for Spring Break?

Notice that he is going to play a wargame, not go to Cancun. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2009, 07:00:06 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 13, 2009, 06:48:46 PM
Aren't you a bit too old for Spring Break?

Notice that he is going to play a wargame, not go to Cancun. :D
These days that amounts to pretty much the same thing, except the latter has real guns instead of counters and dice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Let us know how the PBEM goes.

Maybe I will play a bit more of it this weekend.  :-[
—Stephen Jay Gould