News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Napoleon Bonaparte a Logistical Genius ?

Started by mongers, April 12, 2012, 04:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Was Napoleon really a logistical genius and how did his talents in that area compare to his other military and political abilities  ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Logistical Genius, yeah right. If anything his genius was undestanding the hearts of men and the effect that cannonballs and grapeshot and surprise had on the modes of thinking of those men.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

He was logistically about the equal of Julius Caesar, although I think Caesar is the superior engineer.  Bonaparte may have been the superior strategist, although Caesar is so poorly critiqued, and his tactical prowess so over-stated, that it's nearly impossible to compare.  Bonaparte was a perfectly competent tactician, but his logistical abilities were largely based, like Caesar's, on superb scrounging and acquisitiveness.  Their non-coms were the greatest of dog-robbers.  Bonaparte's invasion of Russia counted on his people's ability to scrounge, which had been legendary throughout his earlier campaigns.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

I'll agree that Caesar and Napoleon share most of the same virtues. Kutuzov and Vercingetorix tried to use the same scorched earth trick on each of them; Caesar pulled it off while Napoleon failed.

Edit: I think that the Grognards ability to steal stuff spoiled Napoleon allowing him to ignore logistics for most of his quick and early campaigns in germany and italy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

I dunno;  Napoleon learned from and surrounded himself with some of the best mathematicians and chemists in French history.  And he applied those principles to warfare and artillery.

Maybe not a engineer in the grandest sense as Caesar, but definitely from an operational perspective.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2012, 05:16:29 PM
I dunno;  Napoleon learned from and surrounded himself with some of the best mathematicians and chemists in French history.  And he applied those principles to warfare and artillery.

Maybe not a engineer in the grandest sense as Caesar, but definitely from an operational perspective.

Wasnt the concept of canning invented by a scientist working for Nappy - iirc they used champagn bottles to keep food from spoiling - real champagn obviously :).

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 05:42:50 PM

Wasnt the concept of canning invented by a scientist working for Nappy - iirc they used champagn bottles to keep food from spoiling - real champagn obviously :).

If I remember correctly from those old Connections episodes, yes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2012, 06:12:59 PM

So is there an modern day equivalent for young people of those programmes, or is it just youtube nowadays ? 

crazy canuck

Yeah, I think that is where I picked up that bit of trivia.  I loved that show.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2012, 06:27:22 PM

Yeah, I think that is where I picked up that bit of trivia.  I loved that show.

Ironically given my comment, I think James put them all up on Youtube a while back.

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2012, 06:26:11 PM

So is there an modern day equivalent for young people of those programmes, or is it just youtube nowadays ?

There are some good space educational programming, but nothing that really matches Connections.

Discovery and TLC have turned into shitholes.

Razgovory

I think it was a candy maker.  Though the government gave him a prize.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

As for medical services in the Army, in Georges Blond's La Grand Armee, the book really picks on Nappy's lack of concern of the wounded and the lack of ambulances and medical personnel.

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on April 12, 2012, 04:39:13 PM
Bonaparte's invasion of Russia counted on his people's ability to scrounge, which had been legendary throughout his earlier campaigns.

Absolutely untrue.  Napoleons logistics efforts for 1812 were widespread, in-depth, and took into account that his troops would get little more than forage from the countryside.

They failed, but part of that was due to horrendous weather (torrential downpours at the start of the campaign, and then a heat wave in July that killed off thousands of horses), and partly due to his decision not to stop at Smolensk to end the 1812 campaign, as he had planned.

In Italy, Napoleon's troops were forced to forage.  In his other campaigned, they foraged to get supplementary food.  napoleon was very conscious of the need for an effective and complete logistics train, and he generally had one until 1812 ruined it.  His greatest mistake in 1813, IMO, was moving troops into Germany that he knew couldn't be supported by his logistics train.  Had he campaigned with 200,000 men rather than 400,000, he'd probably have been more successful.  He was never able to use the numbers he did bring, because the corps had to stay too dispersed in order to feed themselves.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2012, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2012, 06:26:11 PM

There are some good space educational programming, but nothing that really matches Connections.

Discovery and TLC have turned into shitholes.

There you go, first part of first episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g