News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

French Presidential Election

Started by Zoupa, April 10, 2012, 10:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

With the Greeks wanting to scrap their agreement and now this, I think Europe is going to get very interesting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2012, 07:34:21 PM
With the Greeks wanting to scrap their agreement and now this, I think Europe is going to get very interesting.
We've got the Irish referendum on the fiscal pact and the collapse of the Dutch government to roll through yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 06, 2012, 07:42:19 PM
We've got the Irish referendum on the fiscal pact and the collapse of the Dutch government to roll through yet.

Soon Italy will be a lone island of stability. :lol:

Lettow77

Northern Italy must secede from the rest of the country. It won't do to have paleo-neo-venezia sullied by union with the Sicilians and Sardinians :mad:
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 06, 2012, 07:34:21 PM

Glad I don't live in Greece.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Hopefully, common ideology of the leaders will bind France and US closer together. :)

Grallon

Unless Hollande proves himself exceptional, which I highly doubt, this looks good for Marine Le Pen at the next election.  ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 06, 2012, 05:58:26 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 06, 2012, 03:19:50 PM
A Golden Dawn in Greece indeed
Most far-right parties try and aim for respectability.  Not Golden Dawn.  As if their symbol wasn't bad enough:

Their election slogan was 'so we can rid the land of filth'.  In their post-election press conference they told journos to stand up when the leader entered, or leave.
Edit: Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHY0tPTRadM&feature=youtu.be

Their leader at a previous party press conference:

Nice play on the Swatsticker.  :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

Quote from: Grallon on May 06, 2012, 09:19:07 PM
Unless Hollande proves himself exceptional, which I highly doubt, this looks good for Marine Le Pen at the next election.  ^_^

G.

You can grin all you want, just know she would have you executed if she could.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2012, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2012, 03:25:27 PM
Give the man a chance. Bubba Clinton likes him.

My fears--aside from the Euronomic fuck-up--is that France will downshift several gears when it comes to an aggressive foreign policy, e.g., NATO participation and coordination, Iran, WoT humint tracking and monitoring, France's strategic nuclear posture.

The French are an invaluable international asset in those regards.  I will miss them.

Humint and nuke policy won't change, that's a given.

I don't know where Hollande stands on Iran and NATO, to tell you the truth. This election was very much centered on domestic policies, social and economic. Once we know who's the new Foreign Minister, that should give us a hint.

And by the way, I'm hearing Villepin rumors for the Quai d'Orsay... :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2012, 11:07:09 PM
And by the way, I'm hearing Villepin rumors for the Quai d'Orsay... :lol:

Oh, dear Christ.

Zoupa

Ask Sheilbh, it's all about the hair, man.

You have to admit he's got a wonderful head of hair. Like Edwards, except manly.

Habsburg

The Economist called Sarky the next Thatcher (for France) they are calling Hollande dangerous.

I think that's what they call batting .000?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 06, 2012, 03:41:48 PM
Those fears will be as unfounded as the ones people had about Mitterrand.

I actually liked Mitterrand, who was more of a team player than things let on;  it was Chirac I couldn't fucking tolerate.

Why would Hollande be like Chirac and not Mitterand then? Chirac was the same party as Sarkozy.

Martinus

These Greek neonazis seem like lovely people - for example many participated in volunteer units in the Balkan wars, including a number of war crimes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Dawn_(Greece)

I wonder why the Balkans/Greece are so fucked up.