News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Legal Clinics, Yes or No?

Started by Faeelin, May 05, 2009, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, I applied to a few legal clinics for my my 2nd year, and I got into the civil litigation clinic for the Eastern District of New York. But I've had some professors say don't bother with the clinic, since you can always get practical experience after you graduate, and can only take classes while you're in law school. So I thought I'd open the floor to the board's attorneys.

The Brain

I can recommend some Stockholm clinics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2009, 12:43:08 PM

Get thee to a clinic, why wouldst thou be a breeder of sinners?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2009, 12:43:08 PM

He wants to be a lawyer, not a woman. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

It all depends on what you want to do. Legal clinics are, if nothing else, an introduction to litigation type practice - one thing is sure - you will find out if you like it or not.

To my mind at least, the value of law classes is highly over-rated, particularly by law professors, but I know not everyone agrees with me on that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on May 05, 2009, 12:40:57 PM
So, I applied to a few legal clinics for my my 2nd year, and I got into the civil litigation clinic for the Eastern District of New York. But I've had some professors say don't bother with the clinic, since you can always get practical experience after you graduate, and can only take classes while you're in law school. So I thought I'd open the floor to the board's attorneys.

Your professors are insane.  You'll find out if you like litigation or not, and get a leg up in case you end up solo.

crazy canuck

At UBC there were two types of clinics.  One was in the form of a course that a student could take for credit - which substantially reduced the course work in that year and the other one was a volunteer credit that was run by a non profit.  I took the route of doing a full course load and volunteering at a clinic and I guess I am a bit biased toward that.

The clinic for credit always struck me as the equivalent of basket weaving while the volunteer clinics show a drive to really get involved in the law since you are doing it on your own time.

As an aside one thing that you should definitely try to do are the competitive moots.  If you can make a moot team that will set you apart.  If you can do well in the moot competition you will make yourself much more attractive to employers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on May 05, 2009, 01:06:54 PM
You'll find out if you like litigation or not, and get a leg up in case you end up solo.

I disagree.  He will get a very skewed view of ligitation since the matters he can deal with in a clinic enviornment as a law student are very limited.  Plus the type of client that attends those clinics is limited.

He will get no exposure to commericial litigation, for example.

ulmont

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2009, 01:11:19 PM
I disagree.  He will get a very skewed view of ligitation since the matters he can deal with in a clinic enviornment as a law student are very limited.  Plus the type of client that attends those clinics is limited.

He will get no exposure to commericial litigation, for example.

Yeah, but a lot closer to solo life I would think.

Malthus

I second the call for mooting (though I always felt like an Ent doing that  :D ).

What I did, and what proved of particular value, was work as a research assistant to a professor, both during summers and in my copious free time ( :lol:) during the school year.

I highly recommend that if you want a job - the experience is second to none, you get paid, you may get a publication credit (I did), and these guys have lots of helpful contacts & can write killer recommendation letters which, if you survive the initial screen, may help you get a position.

Assuming you end up working for a non-asshole of course.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: ulmont on May 05, 2009, 01:17:45 PM

If he is aiming to be a sole practioner then he has a lot more to worry about then what courses to take.  I honestly dont know how those guys can do it.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2009, 01:54:59 PM

If he is aiming to be a sole practioner then he has a lot more to worry about then what courses to take.  I honestly dont know how those guys can do it.

Where is Scips anyways?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2009, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2009, 01:54:59 PM

Where is Scips anyways?
Plugging away.  Got a big bad faith suit against Citifinancial Auto about to hit.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

It might help if you could give more specifics on the clinic.

My off the cuff would be yes - do it.  If it is a good clinic and you get a good and interested contact, you can really learn some useful things and get a taste for what real practice is like.   

I second Malthus' view that classwork (in comparison) is not really that helpful a prep for private practice.  The 1L core is decent background and there are a couple more classes that are useful to take -  Evidence, Fed Courts, Corps, and Secured Transactions/Commercial Law leap to mind but even these are not really essential.  The rest is mostly of academic interest.  I did not take classes at law school in most the specific practice areas I primarily function in today.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson