News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

riding mowers: help a nigga out

Started by Caliga, April 07, 2012, 07:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

So I'm getting sick of having to deal with slackjaw lawn boys and am seriously considering getting a riding mower.  At this point I do pretty much all the rest of my own yardwork (trimming hedges, some edging, spraying herbicide/fungicide, pruning) and if I clean some shit out of my garage I should have enough room in there to park a riding mower.

I started off by asking my dad about this because a) we used to own a campground in upstate Pa. and he had lawn tractors to mow it (there was something like 15 acres of lawn, so they were a necessity), and b) his semi-retirement job before real retirement was director of physical plant at Delaware Valley College, and for some reason the groundskeeping fell under him too.

So, given all of the above, I guess I should have predicted that he tells me to get one of these:

This is a ~$7K commercial-grade ZTR (Exmark Lazer Z).  I definitely don't need one that badass and expensive, despite his insistence on it.  I don't know how much acreage I need to mow, exactly, since a lot of my property is woods.  I would guess that I have 1 1/2 acres of lawn, tops, to mow... somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2.

I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

Not as fast or maneuverable as a ZTR, but supposedly they have a tight turn radius, too, and are almost as fast.  Also, this is definitely John Deere country and there are like 3-4 tractor dealers and repair guys in my county alone... most of the acreage here is devoted to tobacco and soybean production.

Anyway, who here has a riding mower and what do you use? :)

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Get whatever the waterboy drove.  His scored him some nice trim.

katmai

As a wetback, not allowed to buy riding mower :(

But my Uncle back in Media has a John Deer for their big ass yard.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Get one of those self-propelled ones and some roller skates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2012, 07:25:34 PM
You still have family in Media?  Cool.  My brother lives in Brookhaven now. :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2012, 07:29:20 PM
A riding mower? :x
Yes, yes, I know, gays are allergic to manual labor.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 07:33:53 PM

Yeah nothing more laborious than a fat lordling rolling about his property in a mobility scooter.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 07:33:36 PM
You still have family in Media?  Cool.  My brother lives in Brookhaven now. :cool:

Yeah My aunt and uncle and their three kids, in fact going back in July for cousin's wedding.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on April 07, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 07:33:53 PM

Yeah nothing more laborious than a fat lordling rolling about his property in a mobility scooter.

If you had to mow regularly, you'd understand why he wants a riding mower, especially for a big yard like that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Of the two you show, I'd go with the John Deere. You don't need the commercial grade one, and there are many JD dealers near you so that'll be very handy if you want add on parts, or if you need repairs. Besides, I think the John Deere name is pretty cool to have.     :cool:   I have an Ariens snowblower, which is over 30 years old, still going strong. Ariens makes a good product, and I'm betting the JD will give similar service.    :)

Admiral Yi

As a wetback, not allowed to buy riding mower :(

Why not?  :huh:

It's not like lawns have passing lanes.

katmai

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 07:33:36 PM

Does he eat at: Tom Jones?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)