News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anglo-Japanese Defense Deal

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2012, 09:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Time to update War Plan Red-Orange :menace:
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9185947/Britain-and-Japan-to-agree-lucrative-defence-deal.html

QuoteBritain and Japan to agree lucrative defence deal
Britain and Japan are to sign an agreement to jointly develop systems for both nations' military forces that could be worth billions to the defence industry.

By Julian Ryall, Tokyo and Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent

3:45PM BST 04 Apr 2012

Comments24 Comments

It is understood that part of the pact could lead to the more regular deployment of a Royal Navy hunter killer submarine in the region joining America's build up in the region.

Stronger ties could lead to Japan investing in several major defence projects in including the purchase of more than a dozen of the British-designed Future Combat Ships at £300 million each and a large order for Merlin helicopters.

There is a also a chance that despite coming to an agreement with the US on the purchase of about 100 F35 Joint Strike fighters Japan could revert to buying Eurofighter Typhoons that would provide millions for British industry.

Britain will also share in the development of non-lethal equipment, sources in Tokyo told The Daily Telegraph.

The joint projects are also likely to include technology to disable and destroy land and sea mines.

David Cameron will hold talks with his Japanese counterpart, Yoshihiko Noda, during a visit to Tokyo next Tuesday, with the two leaders expected to agree to begin talks on the joint development of a number of defence projects.

It is hoped the visit will lead to a Defence Cooperation Memorandum that will be signed by defence ministers later this year.

Japan relaxed a ban on the export of domestically produced military equipment late last year, but has previously only worked with defence equipment manufacturers in the United States.

British defence expertise is ahead of Japan's, according to military sources, but major Japanese technology firms are world-leaders and there are hopes that the British defence industry will be able to forge a closer relationship with these companies for future military systems.

"We already have a strong relationship in the economic field and building that relationship in another field can only lead to yet more opportunities," said an official at the British Embassy in Tokyo.

The agreement on defence projects is initially focusing on non-lethal systems to be more acceptable to the Japanese public and to avoid provoking fears in neighbouring nations.

It also comes at a time when China is expanding its navy with submarines and aircraft carriers.

Francis Tusa, a military analyst, said: "With a defence budget similar to Britain's this is an untapped market that could provide very big business for the UK."

An MoD spokesman said: "Britain will continue to work with the Japanese MOD to identify where the best opportunities exist for cooperating on new equipment projects. This follows the announcement of changes to the Japanese policy on overseas transfer of defence equipment."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteStronger ties could lead to Japan investing in several major defence projects in including the purchase of more than a dozen of the British-designed Future Combat Ships at £300 million each and a large order for Merlin helicopters.

Man, the Japanese aren't going to buy any British crap, and it's all crap these days.  The only thing they do well is bullshit "Stop or I'll say stop again" pussy-ass non-lethal nonsense.

QuoteBritain will also share in the development of non-lethal equipment, sources in Tokyo told The Daily Telegraph.

:rolleyes:

QuoteBritish defence expertise is ahead of Japan's, according to military sources,

What is "No?", Alex.

Neil

Why would anybody buy the Eurofighter?  If you want an airforce that's just for show, then buy cheap Russian or Swedish garbage.  If you want an airforce that's got some teeth and are willing to pay, buy US or French.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2012, 11:57:03 AM
Why would anybody buy the Eurofighter?  If you want an airforce that's just for show, then buy cheap Russian or Swedish garbage.  If you want an airforce that's got some teeth and are willing to pay, buy US or French.

The Japs want something that can beat anything the Chinese, North Koreans or Russians have in the Far East. The Typhoon has the advantages of greater range, two engines (something which is important in operations over water or over tundra, this is why Canada, Australia and Finland bought the F-18 for their Air Force preferring it over the F-16), much greater payload, lesser weight but with the same thrust.

Japan probably will have some issues with tech access and expect to build it's own planes on license; something which might be problematic with the F-35 and all it's new technologies. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Why would anybody buy the Eurofighter?

That's what the Austrians still wonder.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on April 07, 2012, 12:25:51 PM
Why would anybody buy the Eurofighter?

That's what the Austrians still wonder.

The alternative is to buy something french, swedish or american :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Warspite

The Eurofighter was designed precisely to fight Eastern bloc equipment, ironically enough the Japanese will be the only users of the Typhoon doing so for its intended purpose.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

The cast their moon runes and squee'd uncontrollably.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive