Previous topic - Next topic

?

Big Tip
4 (100%)
Tainted Drug Money
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

jimmy olsen

Unfortunately she had to sue to get it back so $10,000 of it now belongs to the lawyer.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/05/11037230-big-tip-or-tainted-cash-waitress-gets-to-keep-12000-left-by-restaurant-customer?lite
QuoteBig tip or tainted cash? Waitress gets to keep $12,000 left by restaurant customer
By msnbc.com staff

Updated at 5 p.m. PT: A big fat tip or tainted drug money? Struggling Minnesota waitress Stacy Knutson said it's the former; Moorhead, Minn., police apparently believed it was the latter.

The wad of cash was left in a to-go box on a table at the Moorhead Fryin' Pan restaurant where Knutson works. Knutson said she followed the customer out to the parking lot to give back what she thought were leftovers, but the customer said, "No, I am good; you keep it," according a story Wednesday in The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead.   
Advertise | AdChoices

Knutson went back inside the restaurant, peeked inside the box and to her astonishment found $12,000 in cash rolled up in rubber bands.

Like a dutiful citizen, she called police, who seized the money and reportedly told her she would get it back if no one claimed it in 60 days. But when that time period passed, she said police told her she still couldn't get the money because it was part of a drug investigation. Apparently it didn't pass the sniff test, because police said the money had a strong odor of marijuana.

Knutson filed a lawsuit in Clay County District Court, claiming the cash is rightfully hers.

On Thursday, her attorney, Craig Richie, said the County Attorney's Office and the Moorhead Police Department had agreed to let her keep all the money.

"We argued that most money that you carry in your pocket has drug residue on it," Richie told CBS station WCCO. "She could've kept the money and nobody would've known. But she said, 'No, I'm going to do the right thing.' So she called police and now integrity has now prevailed."

Richie told Reuters that folks around Moorhead knew that Knutson and her husband were having financial problems raising their five children. He told the news service that he believed the money was intended as a gift to the family.

"Stacy is a very religious woman and this is the will of God," he said.

Read the initial story in The Forum here and a follow-up story here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I don't understand. If it was tainted cash that needed disposing, why didn't said individual just burn it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2012, 08:02:46 PM
Unfortunately she had to sue to get it back so $10,000 of it now belongs to the lawyer.

Lulz, you know you're in a shitty profession when Timmay gets some nyuks in on your ass.

Eddie Teach

I think I could live with the pain of people cracking jokes about how I make too much money.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2012, 09:59:03 PM
I think I could live with the pain of people cracking jokes about how I make too much money.

Pfft, they lost their souls when they submitted their Bar applications.
Take note, Ide.