News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

One way to get Languish more traffic.

Started by garbon, April 04, 2012, 10:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/al-qaeda-n-y-nypd-chief-ray-kelly-warns-article-1.1055664

QuoteThe ominous graphic posted on terrorism websites suggesting an Al Qaeda attack is yet another reminder that New York City is the No. 1 target for terrorists, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Tuesday.

"It's not tied to any threat," Kelly said. "But it's obviously a cause of concern.

"It reminds us that New York is still very much on their (terrorists') minds."

The graphic, which depicts the New York skyline in movie-poster style, crossed the NYPD's radar early Monday.

The cops have their cyberexperts scrambling to figure out who posted it on the As Ansar forum, a website used by jihadists.

"Al Qaeda coming soon again in New York," blares the logo, which appears in bold yellow letters over a composite of the city's skyline.

Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman, said police analysts have determined software costing $16,000 was used to design the graphic, replete with 3-D images.

Kelly did not dismiss the possibility the graphic was posted as a joke, or to scare New Yorkers.

"They want to keep the message out there,'' Kelly said, in describing jihadist websites. "They want to give us a certain amount of angst and anxiety.

"It's part of their approach."

The commissioner said officers assigned to intelligence and counterterrorism duties routinely scour the Internet, which he described as "the new Afghanistan."

"That's where training happens,'' he said.

"That's where radicalization happens. It has been a very valuable tool for terrorists."

Kelly made his comments shortly before addressing a Police Headquarters gathering of Jewish leaders as part of the NYPD's pre-Passover security briefing.

As always, the NYPD will devote extra officers to Jewish neighborhoods and to houses of worship.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

In other news the Deputy Commissioner of the NYPD has found disturbing evidence on online forums that cats ride invisible bikes, Abraham Lincoln is alive and riding a bear and that the cake may be a lie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 04, 2012, 10:28:39 AM
In other news the Deputy Commissioner of the NYPD has found disturbing evidence on online forums that cats ride invisible bikes, Abraham Lincoln is alive and riding a bear and that the cake may be a lie.

Well yesterday everyone was informing New York City that though this image had popped up on a forum, there was no evidence to suggest any attack was imminent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

If they haven't noticed us by now, they never will.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

This place makes me read articles much more critically.

What is the point of mentioning the $16,000 software used to make it, I can't imagine there are many programs that would fit into that range?  Not wanting/willing to advertise?  Trying to tell us how well funded this group is?  More lazy journalism?

Syt

Quote"Al Qaeda coming soon again in New York,"

:perv: ?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: sbr on April 04, 2012, 02:06:59 PM
What is the point of mentioning the $16,000 software used to make it, I can't imagine there are many programs that would fit into that range?  Not wanting/willing to advertise?  Trying to tell us how well funded this group is?  More lazy journalism?

Apparently, the NYPD's cyber crimes unit hasn't heard of a little thing called "software piracy." :P
Experience bij!