Chinese insider: China playing, and winning, zero-sum game with US

Started by Kleves, April 02, 2012, 12:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2012, 06:40:52 PMThey seem to be happy where they are.  PRC overtures to reunite haven't had much traction in RoC.

Yup, and who can blame them?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 06:53:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2012, 06:40:52 PMThey seem to be happy where they are.  PRC overtures to reunite haven't had much traction in RoC.

Apparently V-dawg and LaAsshat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:00:54 PMApparently V-dawg and LaAsshat.

I haven't seen either of them argue against the current, unresolved status quo.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:00:54 PM

Who?

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2012, 07:03:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:00:54 PM

Who?

Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 07:02:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 03, 2012, 07:00:54 PMApparently V-dawg and LaAsshat.

I haven't seen either of them argue against the current, unresolved status quo.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Ideologue

Quote from: LaCroix on April 03, 2012, 12:21:11 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 03, 2012, 12:10:25 PM
Yes, independent China.

The PRC has absolutely no claim to Taiwan other than "we wants it".

Not by self-determination
Not by history
Not by conquest(although I'm sure they'd like to)
ROC is not china, it is a breakaway chinese province that tries to maintain its own independence.

taiwan had previously been chinese for hundreds of years before japan annexed it in the late 19th. it became a chinese province when it was returned to china after the empire of japan's annihilation. that it was ROC troops that landed and established control means nothing

semantics won't work here: there are not two chinas, there is only one, and it exists on the mainland and has a government that currently calls itself the PRC. if you have trouble with this concept, imagine an analogy where a breakaway american state was created out of no where, and foreign powers hostile to the united states kept it alive for decades

I've come to accept Canada's right to exist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Maximus on April 03, 2012, 12:49:03 PM
Since we're doing Martiesque analogies, a better one would be if the US claimed rulership of Britain because they were now the true government of the English-speaking world.

OK I've changed my mind.  They can have Taiwan, but we get other islands of importance.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Eddie Teach

Great Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Shetlands, etc.

Oh, and Australia, Tasmania, North & South Islands, Prince Edward Island...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 03, 2012, 10:54:47 PM
So a bunch of cold and inhospitable places?
Pass.

The problem with taking warm islands is they're full of undesirables like Tim, Lusti and Funk.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 03, 2012, 09:39:50 PM
I've come to accept Canada's right to exist.

Bah, let Quebec secede, let everything else petition for US statehood and make it all a bunch of National Parks.