Apple Drops 'Thermonuclear' Patent Bombshell.

Started by mongers, April 01, 2012, 01:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Apple drops 'thermonuclear' patent bombshell

What Steve Jobs threatened, Tim Cook delivers

By Rik Myslewski • In Law • At 05:00 GMT 1st April 2012

Apple has launched a new patent assault on its competitors, one that appears to unleash the nukes that Steve Jobs reportedly told his biographer Walter Isaacson he was going to drop on Google's Android.

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product," the late Apple cofounder told the author of the überpopular authorized biography Steve Jobs in a 2010 interview. "I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Apple's legal team has now filed a patent-infringement lawsuit that hurls a potentially Edward Teller–level legal challenge at its smartphone and tablet competitors. Or, at minimum, one that opens up a massively profitable licensing opportunity for Cupertino.

Apple's SVP and general counsel Bruce Sewell, when announcing the sweeping lawsuit in a rare Saturday call with reporters and analysts, cited not his late boss, Steve Jobs, but his current one, Tim Cook. "As Tim said in 2009," Sewell reminded us, "'We like competition as long as they don't rip off our IP. And if they do, we will go after anyone who does. We are ready to suit up and go against anyone'."

Rest of article here:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/01/apple_patent/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Okay so:

-they refuse to call iPhone 5 by it's name
-they refuse to call iPad 3 by it's name
-they announced dividends and stock buy back
-they go all in in the Patent Wars

Are we seeing just about the top of Apple and it's stock price?

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2012, 02:50:22 PM
Okay so:

:rolleyes:

Take another look at Mongers link.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

It took a gay guy at the helm to take Apple to the dark side. :menace:

DontSayBanana

I would have expected the Euros to pick up on this before the Americans.  Syt certainly got it.
Experience bij!

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2012, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2012, 02:50:22 PM
Okay so:

:rolleyes:

Take another look at Mongers link.

:face:

grumbler

Great story.  Crappy synopsis here, but a great story - well-written, complete, and yet concise.  I take back my assertion that all British journalists are hacks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2012, 04:17:40 PM
Great story.  Crappy synopsis here, but a great story - well-written, complete, and yet concise.  I take back my assertion that all British journalists are hacks.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2012, 07:10:19 PM

Weird, I exactly quoted the article's title as the thread title and the synopsis was a direct and full quote of the article up to the crucial give away, that Syt noted.

Oh I forgot, it's just Grumbler being his usual snide self. That's the beauty of having him on the ignore list, I never normally see his trolling.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2012, 07:15:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2012, 07:10:19 PM

Weird, I exactly quoted the article's title as the thread title and the synopsis was a direct and full quote of the article up to the crucial give away, that Syt noted.

Oh I forgot, it's just Grumbler being his usual snide self. That's the beauty of having him on the ignore list, I never normally see his trolling.   :cool:

It is a bit obnoxious to make people click on a link before getting to the truth of a story. But then, not sure why grumbler called you out, as it is your MO to have misleading titles, so misleading summaries aren't so far off. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

IP law. Makes Tax law look the height of morality.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

See, what's funny about this is that it's actually plausible.  I wouldn't put it past Apple to pull something like this.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Yeah, what Neil says. I totally wouldn't put this past apple.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 01, 2012, 08:07:43 PM
See, what's funny about this is that it's actually plausible.  I wouldn't put it past Apple to pull something like this.

I thought these computer and cell phone companies did this to one another all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017