So Raz is thinking of getting into space simulators.

Started by Razgovory, March 31, 2012, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Raz, you need to decide, do you want jostick-twitching combat and 3D visuals, or the whole RPG experience of a sandboxy space game? Sadly, you cannot really get both.

Yeah, the X-series is somewhere in-between, except that it's a tedious spreadsheet strategy game, with a real time travel and combat part put on it.

If you want the RPG experience, then you can get the complete Space Rangers 2 compilation (Reboot, or something like that), for quite cheap.

It is a top-down turn based thing, and it's loads of fun. There is an annoying RTS mini-game about battling on planet surfaces but luckily it is optional. The other mini-game is an elaborate text adventure thingie when you are thrown into prison somewhere.
It has trade, it has combat, it has a plot, and it has tons of NPC ships and characters going about their business.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2012, 11:54:03 PM
Everyone I know who has ever got one tried to use it once or twice then it ended up just cluttering their cuboard

I had a joystick for Crimson Skies a long time ago.  Lot of fun.  One of my favorite PC games ever made.

Tamas, I'm thinking about dog fighting like it's 1942 in spaceships and perhaps some trade etc.  I wanna be a hotshot space pilot with a girl in every port of call.  Since that is unlikely, I'll go for a game that simulates that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 10:51:03 AM
Tamas, I'm thinking about dog fighting like it's 1942 in spaceships and perhaps some trade etc.  I wanna be a hotshot space pilot with a girl in every port of call.  Since that is unlikely, I'll go for a game that simulates that.
If you don't mind dated graphics, then Wing Commander: Privateer might fit the bill.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

szmik

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/star_wolves is surprisingly good game, even if not sandbox type. Sort of RPG in space, but you're not too restricted to missions or areas.  I've had a lot of fun with it. Combat is quite good and sometimes really challenging.

No joystick required.

I didn't like the sequel.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 09:16:25 PM
What does sandbox game mean?

It's meant to represent a game where you have mostly free will of action. The setting of the game is a "Sandbox". GTA games are a good examples. There are missions, a story, objectives but you can choose to ignore them & just keep running over pedestrians.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

SPAZ was entertaining for 3 bucks before 'easy' difficulty turned into shoving bamboo sticks up my ass difficulty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Anyone remember that old game Space Rogue?  It was awesome.  So was Starflight. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Starflight on the genesis and Star control 2 on the 3do. Good times.  :)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I did.Back when I had the time and energy for video games.

Razgovory

Raz has decided to hold off on buying expensive new PC games and controllers.  My sis is having a tough time up in Wisconsin and I'm going to send her some cash to help make ends meet.  I bought Torment off Good old Games for like 10 bucks.  That'll be enough for now.

Thank you all for your input.

Pedrito

Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2012, 11:25:55 AM
Raz has decided to hold off on buying expensive new PC games and controllers.  My sis is having a tough time up in Wisconsin and I'm going to send her some cash to help make ends meet.  I bought Torment off Good old Games for like 10 bucks.  That'll be enough for now.

Thank you all for your input.
:hug:

I just finished a rerun of Torment. Get the widescreen mod and some of the restored content, it becomes even better than it was.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

Oooh!  Sounds neat.  When I booted it up I was surprised that I couldn't change the resolution.