News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

April Fools

Started by Syt, April 01, 2012, 12:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.tagesschau.de/inland/fdpgala100.html

The F.D.P., the only relevant other party besides conservatives and social democrats for much of post-war Germany, is floundering and is quickly disappearing from parliaments. Hence, public broadcaster ARD will hold a charity event to collect donations for the party's survival.

A rather obvious one. What other 1st of April stories are out there?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Apparently HBO is sending the first episode of season 2 of Game of Thrones, in reality it has been cancelled. It was all an elaborate april fools joke..

Peter Dinklage doing the reveal

local newspapers

- calf found with six legs
- fernado torres scores a goal
- pig used a drug dog at local airport
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Tabloid homepage Oe24 (web page of free tabloid "Österreich") reports that the state secretary for integration will launch an Islam offensive which sounds realistic enough but which I guess is an April Fools Joke:
- Open Door in all mosques in Austria, probably in summer (100th anniversary of Islam being fully recognized as religion in Austria)
- Brochures about the basics of Islam
- Islam Map, with all mosques in Vienna for university students
Reason for this is trying to get more understanding and removing prejudice/fears about muslims.

The comments section is in extreme uproar about this appeasement and kow-towing to the musselmen, and ask in rather harsh tones why Austrians should adjust to Muslims and Islaimists and not vice versa (never mind that half the Muslims in Austria are Austrians. Typical Oe24 readers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

I think showing the Austrians that there are more Turks in the country at any time since 1683 is probably not the best strategy to encourage societal harmony.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Quote from: Viking on April 01, 2012, 04:33:57 AM
I think showing the Austrians that there are more Turks in the country at any time since 1683 is probably not the best strategy to encourage societal harmony.

Funny thing is that Turks are in fact only the third largest group of foreigners. 1st Place are Ex-Yugos (Serbs+Croats+Bosnians etc.), 2nd are Germans. However, they're rather concentrated in Vienna as opposed to other etnicities - similar in Germany. In our rural town I grew up with more blacks and hispanics (courtesy of the U.S. Army Battalion stationed there) than with Turks.

Vienna has about 40% people who were born abroad or who have a parent born abroad.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

ad block, the firefox app, has a good one
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Google's 8 bit map and Youtube's TheYouTubeCollection made me giggle.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Claude Guéant (French for Dick Cheney), announcing that voters will have to pay in order to exercise their right  :lol:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/presidentielle-il-faudra-payer-pour-voter.html

garbon

Quote from: Liep on April 01, 2012, 05:58:58 AM
Google's 8 bit map

I liked the inclusion of sprites for the statue of liberty and white house.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

XKCD is doing a rather elaborate one.  The comic changes based upon browser, window-size, OS, location and probably some other variables...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2012, 12:15:50 AM
A rather obvious one. What other 1st of April stories are out there?
The Guardian ran a story about Shaun Ryder of the Happy Mondays being appointed to advise Downing Street on class :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

It was rather spoilt in the UK this year by the government jumping the gun and playing several pranks before the actual day  :mad:

Razgovory

Ah, see this is why I don't leave my house on April fools day.  Or most other days. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 01, 2012, 05:25:57 PM
It was rather spoilt in the UK this year by the government jumping the gun and playing several pranks before the actual day  :mad:

I was going to order some stuff from the UK, but I'm waiting until you people stop acting all weird.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive