Main Menu

Legal question for you non-lawyers

Started by Barrister, March 28, 2012, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2012, 12:01:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2012, 11:59:26 AM
Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2012, 11:54:40 AM
Although you probably don't know, does he has a history witht he investigating officer? He could play the "cop set me up".

You watch too much tv.

hey, if i was a theif and had no other defense they'd be my go to move :lol:. Well, first would be staying off the stand.
Quote from: HVC
Also, did he use a van on the robberry he got caught on?

You'd need a lot of very specific evidence before being allowed to introduce similar fact evidence.  It might be worth looking into, but it's extremely unlikely.
If you do end up using it can i get a commision? :P

"Cop set me up" doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider they had the DNA years ago, but didn't have anyone to match it to until recently.  If they were going to set someone up, you'd think they'd set up someone who they can actually identify.

And no. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Does the guy know all you have against him is DNA?  Anyone check local pawnshops to see if he sold anything recently?  I suppose none of the neighbors recognized him, did they?  Do you have a warrant to search his place?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

A career criminal caught for a similar crime and DNA evidence suggests he was at the crime scene? Is there any other reasonable explanation why his DNA could be there other than that he burglared that home? I can't think of any, so that's good enough for me.

Isn't cases like this exactly what the proponents of national DNA databases want to solve?

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2012, 12:07:04 PM
Does the guy know all you have against him is DNA?  Anyone check local pawnshops to see if he sold anything recently?  I suppose none of the neighbors recognized him, did they?  Do you have a warrant to search his place?

He will soon.

Pawnshops are regularly monitored by police.  This seems like too sophisticated for them to make a mistake like pawning the iterms locally.  Neighbors ID after this many years would be useless, as would searching his place.

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on March 28, 2012, 12:08:38 PM
Isn't cases like this exactly what the proponents of national DNA databases want to solve?

:yes:

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2012, 12:11:53 PM
Pawnshops are regularly monitored by police.
:hmm:  Good to know, thanks.  :)

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2012, 11:25:38 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 11:20:50 AM
Were I on the jury, I would vote to convict and hang from the neck until dead.
And that is without reading anything BB posted.
Naturally  :D
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2012, 12:54:02 PM
Don't do it. Too Machiavellian.

What the fuck are you talking about?  Machiavellian?  It's not his boss's DNA he's using, for fuck's sake.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 12:12:45 PM
Go for it, BB.  DOITDOITDOITDOIT.

Oh - it's not as if I'm going to drop the charge.  :menace:

I'm just trying to figure out how much of a hard line I can take. :shifty:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 12:56:57 PM
It's not his boss's DNA he's using, for fuck's sake.

He uses that for making babies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Unless there's any reason to doubt that the DNA sampling taken from the coke is 100% correct, then I'd say go for it.

And I'm guessing a defense counsel would aim at casting such a doubt on the quality of the sample taken years ago, probably through technicalities like that? Not taken or stored properly, not recorded or analyzed properly, a signature missing somewhere?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2012, 01:20:19 PM
Unless there's any reason to doubt that the DNA sampling taken from the coke is 100% correct, then I'd say go for it.

And I'm guessing a defense counsel would aim at casting such a doubt on the quality of the sample taken years ago, probably through technicalities like that? Not taken or stored properly, not recorded or analyzed properly, a signature missing somewhere?

Yeah, the best defensive bet would be to challenge every aspect of the chain of custody process, and hope somebody fucked it up somewhere along the line.
And knowing cops, there's always a good chance for that.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2012, 01:20:19 PM

Yeah, the best defensive bet would be to challenge every aspect of the chain of custody process, and hope somebody fucked it up somewhere along the line.
And knowing cops, there's always a good chance for that.

For whatever reason we don't see a lot of cases fought over chain of custody.  But you're quite right that is one possible strategy.

But of course if he takes it all the way to trial we'll attempt to give him the longest possible sentence, and on the other side give him a discount if he enters a plea.  It's just that depending on how strong (or weak) the case is, we give more or less of a discount.