Russian backed coup underway in Georgia

Started by Weatherman, May 05, 2009, 05:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteTBILISI (Reuters) –  Georgia said on Tuesday a Russian-planned coup plot had been uncovered within the military of the former Soviet republic and a rebellion was under way at a military base near the capital.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090505/wl_nm/us_georgia_coup

Queequeg

Underway?  NYT says something along the lines of "foiled".

Anyway, though I think Georgia has something to gain from making it look like Russia was behind this, and I think elements of the Georgian Army would probably be maad aat Saakashvili aanywaay, I think it is probably pretty safe to presume that Russia was involved at some level. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Something we learned last August.  Georgians are liars.  Who knows what the hell is going on.  There may be no military rebellion at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

Right now the Georgrian government is not too popular, so this may be a venting of honest domestic fury rather than a move purely fashioned by the Russians.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

I'm sad to see that Ark lending credence to Spellus' Russophile ways.

If there was any US President other than the Obamateur, Georgia would be reinforced.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Warspite

I'm no Russophile, but neither do I want to be hoodwinked by a bunch of almost-Russians.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on May 05, 2009, 06:57:13 AM
I'm no Russophile, but neither do I want to be hoodwinked by a bunch of almost-Russians.
Are we really being hoodwinked if it involves us doing things that we would want to do anyways?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 06:42:43 AM

If there was any US President other than the Obamateur, Georgia would be reinforced.

Nixon wouldn't have.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Alcibiades

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 06:23:16 AM

Maybe Canada should do something then.....  :lmfao:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Neil

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 05, 2009, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2009, 06:23:16 AM

Maybe Canada should do something then.....  :lmfao:
Why would Canada do that?  There aren't enough imbeciles without prospects in Canada to make good soldiers, and so our military capability is limited.

Alcibiades

QuoteWhy would Canada do that?  There aren't enough imbeciles without prospects in Canada to make good soldiers, and so our military capability is limited.

Sounds like they wouldn't let some little tubby in.  :console:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 05, 2009, 03:16:47 PM

Soldiers are funny.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on May 05, 2009, 06:57:13 AM
You are a Croat - you are just as an almost-Russian as an average Georgian is. Worse still, you're a Balkantard. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 05, 2009, 03:16:47 PM
QuoteWhy would Canada do that?  There aren't enough imbeciles without prospects in Canada to make good soldiers, and so our military capability is limited.

Why would Neil want to join the military? After all, despite his numerous failings, he seems to have at least an average intellect, at least a middle class background and does not seem to be deranged in a way that prevents relatively normal functioning in the society.

Only the stupid, the poor or the insane join the military.

Alcibiades

Well I must be insane, because I have money, and I've been accepted to some good universities.   :bowler: