Con Art ? - "Damien Hirsts are the sub-prime of the art world"

Started by mongers, March 27, 2012, 07:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Julian Spalding: Damien Hirsts are the sub-prime of the art world

If you are unfortunate enough to have acquired any Hirsts, sell them before they become worthless

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Some people argue that Damien Hirst is a great artist. Some say he is an execrable artist, and others put him somewhere more boring in between. They are all missing the point. Damien Hirst isn't an artist. His works may draw huge crowds when they go on show in a five-month-long blockbuster retrospective at Tate Modern next week. But they have no artistic content and are worthless as works of art. They are, therefore, worthless financially.

If you want a pickled shark in a tank, you don't have to pay the $12m Steve Cohen paid for the one selected by Hirst. You only pay that much for the artistic content that Hirst has added to it. If there isn't any, what are you buying? You could argue that you are buying an investment. But that depends on people in the future valuing the artistic content in your shark even more highly than you do. If they don't, what are you left with? A shark in a tank, which is what you bought.

I've coined the term Con Art, short for contemporary conceptual art and for art that cons people. Contemporary conceptual art? All art is a concept in the sense that it's the product of thought. But all art must also be a creation. You have to be able to see art; it can't just be a projected thought. That's how the emperor got dressed; his expensive robes were all in the minds of people around him, when in reality he had nothing on.

It's often been proposed, seriously, that Damien Hirst is a greater artist than Michelangelo because he had the idea for a shark in a tank whereas Michelangelo didn't have the idea for his David. What separates Michelangelo from Damien Hirst is that Michelangelo was an artist and Damien Hirst isn't. Michelangelo's extremely subtle, profoundly moving ideas were manifest in what he made; they weren't pretentious profanities tossed off the top of his head.

Rest of the opinion here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/julian-spalding-damien-hirsts-are-the-subprime-of-the-art-world-7586386.html

Channel four news have an interview with him and a discussion with an art critic here:
http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/270312/clipid/270312_4ON_art_2_27

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

If you're buying art that isn't a sculpture or painting of a famous dead white person or a landscape, you're wasting your money anyways and should be taxed at 100%.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2012, 08:23:06 PM
Sounds like a lame argument.

Yes.
If the original of Duchamp's "Fountain" were unearthed, it would command a fortune.
Now maybe Hirst's work won't stand the test of time but that can't be predicted either way now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2012, 09:37:26 AM
Now maybe Hirst's work won't stand the test of time but that can't be predicted either way now.
I doubt much of it will.  As the art critic who was responding to this guy said he's not got many young artist who are influenced by him.  Grayson Perry said, half-jokingly, that the most interesting thing about Hirst are his accounts.  I don't think that's true of other YBAs like Tracy Emin who's superb.

But the idea that because something's worthless artistically it'll be worthless art is nonsense as Jack Vettriano's career proves.
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2012, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2012, 09:37:26 AM
I doubt much of it will.  As the art critic who was responding to this guy said he's not got many young artist who are influenced by him.  Grayson Perry said, half-jokingly, that the most interesting thing about Hirst are his accounts.  I don't think that's true of other YBAs like Tracy Emin who's superb.

But the idea that because something's worthless artistically it'll be worthless art is nonsense as Jack Vettriano's career proves.
Or Thomas Kincaid's career.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt