The peasants are revolting and other popular sayings.

Started by Scipio, March 26, 2012, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Communism is just over the horizon.

You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Yeah, it's been a long fucking day, and Curly hasn't killed anybody yet.....
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Quote from: Scipio on March 26, 2012, 09:12:15 PM

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

This is the most confusing one, is it perchance a personal euphemism of yours meaning, to have sex ?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 09:14:21 PM

This is the most confusing one, is it perchance a personal euphemism of yours meaning, to have sex ?  :unsure:
No, that one was not a popular saying.  It's a paraphrase of a great quote from City Slickers, but I've had a long day, and I haven't killed anyone yet.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Classic
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."

"One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine..."

"How is the enemy supposed to know what we're doing, when we dont."

Always liked these.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on March 26, 2012, 10:39:05 PM

Classic
I never got the humor of that one.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

It is amazing how obscure some of these "popular sayings" are.

I've only ever heard Ronald Reagan saying the "outlaw Russia" one, for instance.   But, then, maybe it is a popular saying somewhere in the country or world that I have never been.

The made-up quotes from "former enemies" (sometimes Soviet defectors, sometimes WW2 POWs) about chaos and doctrine are funny inside jokes for military types, but I've never heard them used "popularly."

Need more Dorothy-Parkerisms, and we need to make them more popular.

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."

"I've been fucking busy, and vice-versa."

"Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone."

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!