News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Supreme Court & Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Oh, I guess that was a rhetorical question.  GLAD I SPENT TWENTY MINUTES LOOKING SOME SHIT UP.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 08:40:52 PM
Leaving the conservative definition aside for a moment, how do you defend yourself against the charge of inconsistency in using the liberal definition?

Where's the inconsistency?  I raised the issue of activism only because it seems like some of the most vociferous critics of activism (e.g. when in the form of Boumediene  v. Bush) line up behind the idea that the mandate should be struck down.  That does seem inconsistent.

My problem with the anti-mandate position is not that it would judicial activism to overturn it but that it would conflict pretty strongly with prior precedent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

My problem with both the mandate and anti-mandate positions is that they're bad public policy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

I've read most of it now.  My suspicion is that it'll be upheld, but I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2012, 03:24:01 AM
I've read most of it now.  My suspicion is that it'll be upheld, but I could be wrong.

as much as i wish it will be upheld, i don't think with this course that it will be. that's only an opinion, and i dearly hope i'm wrong

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2012, 07:43:53 PM
My problem with both the mandate and anti-mandate positions is that they're bad public policy.
True, but I think that the mandate-for-insurance policy has to be shown to be a failure before the majority will accept the truth that market forces have limited leverage in the health care field.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2012, 06:42:48 AM
True, but I think that the mandate-for-insurance policy has to be shown to be a failure before the majority will accept the truth that market forces have limited leverage in the health care field.
Perhaps.  The again, it seems like a majority of Americans would want it to fail anyways, because business as usual is better than any alternative where someone attempts to improve things.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2012, 05:53:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 08:40:52 PM
Leaving the conservative definition aside for a moment, how do you defend yourself against the charge of inconsistency in using the liberal definition?

Where's the inconsistency?  I raised the issue of activism only because it seems like some of the most vociferous critics of activism (e.g. when in the form of Boumediene  v. Bush) line up behind the idea that the mandate should be struck down.  That does seem inconsistent.

My problem with the anti-mandate position is not that it would judicial activism to overturn it but that it would conflict pretty strongly with prior precedent.

That last part doesn't really matter to those that have always thought that the prior precedents were poor decisions, i.e., that the Court interpreted the commerce clause too broadly in the past.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on April 10, 2012, 08:11:30 AM
That last part doesn't really matter to those that have always thought that the prior precedents were poor decisions, i.e., that the Court interpreted the commerce clause too broadly in the past.

Sure.  But at risk of banging the same drum again, the "past" with respect to broad Court interpretations of the commerce clause (and the N&P clause) includes the Gonzales v. Raich case, and includes Kennedy and Scalia doing that intrepretation. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The good policy options are off the table, so what's left is selecting the brand name of the poison to drink.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

You've made some statements in this thread that smelled very much like a preference for judicial deference to the legislature.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2012, 06:00:15 PM

You've made some statements in this thread that smelled very much like a preference for judicial deference to the legislature.

I agree with the presumption of constitutionality, that is true.  But that presumption is rebuttable. 
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

It would be "judicial activism" to NOT overturn it.

JA is bullshit, but let's be honest about it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Kleves

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2012, 12:00:54 PM
It would be "judicial activism" to NOT overturn it.
Wait, are you saying that inaction can treated as action in some cases?  :P
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 10, 2012, 03:56:14 PM

The good policy options are off the table, so what's left is selecting the brand name of the poison to drink.

The problem is when the mandated system does really work the Goptards will want to go back to the bad old days.  What are the chances that real reform will ever become viable?