Main Menu

The Supreme Court & Obamacare

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 08:50:09 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2012, 08:45:14 PM
No, I can't be sure you aren't clerking for Kennedy.  :P

Gentleman's bet then: 25 and 75 are pushes, I get the middle band, you get the outsides.
You need to define the timeline.  Obviously it's going to be 0 or 100 once the 5-4 decision is officially made public.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 08:53:00 PM
You need to define the timeline.  Obviously it's going to be 0 or 100 once the 5-4 decision is officially made public.

Only if some schmuck places a trade after the decision airs.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 08:55:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Only if some schmuck places a trade after the decision airs.
So if I bet on the extreme values, I win as long as there is at least one point in time that the price is in the extreme range (>75 or <25)?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 09:00:46 PM
So if I bet on the extreme values, I win as long as there is at least one point in time that the price is in the extreme range (>75 or <25)?

Good point, it would have to be last day of trading.  God you people are good with numbers.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 09:07:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 09:00:46 PM

Good point, it would have to be last day of trading.  God you people are good with numbers.
Ok, so if the price hits the extreme band in the period of 12 hours before the ruling and 12 hours after the ruling, he who bets on the extreme end wins?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 09:09:40 PM
Ok, so if the price hits the extreme band in the period of 12 hours before the ruling and 12 hours after the ruling, he who bets on the extreme end wins?

How is the price going to move after the ruling?

The bet is not that it hits one of the bands in the 12 hours prior to, it's dependent on the very last price traded before the ruling.

BTW have you (or anyone else) ever played on Intrade?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 09:09:40 PM

How is the price going to move after the ruling?

The bet is not that it hits one of the bands in the 12 hours prior to, it's dependent on the very last price traded before the ruling.

BTW have you (or anyone else) ever played on Intrade?
I played on the play money Intrade run by Rasmussen (and was in 8th place out of 20,000 users when they folded it).  Err, let me correct myself, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :whistle:

Admiral Yi

I don't get the point behind pretending that you didn't really do well on fake Intrade. :unsure:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 09:20:19 PM
I don't get the point behind pretending that you didn't really do well on fake Intrade. :unsure:
It's called hustling.  Err, actually, there was no point to that. :whistle:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2012, 08:50:09 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 27, 2012, 08:45:14 PM
No, I can't be sure you aren't clerking for Kennedy.  :P

Gentleman's bet then: 25 and 75 are pushes, I get the middle band, you get the outsides.

I'm not saying I think the info is going to leak into the market, I'm just saying will be interesting to see if it does.  :D
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2012, 09:14:25 PM
I played on the play money Intrade run by Rasmussen (and was in 8th place out of 20,000 users when they folded it).  Err, let me correct myself, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :whistle:

In 2008 I did well in the primary election with real money on intrade, primarily betting the extreme election results (for example, against Ron Paul, against candidates down ~20 points in the polls). I probably made a little over 10% over a few months. I was going to do it again this time, I think the extreme values are there again, but I realized, "holy shit you actually sent cash to some random offshore gambling site"? What really decided it for me was when I saw they have a market on whether intrade is able to stay in business.  :D
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

You guys are crazy to bet on this.  You might as well just flip coins.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Fate

It's going to be 6-3 in favor of the liberals. Republicans won't let insurance companies start going belly up. Then we'll really be forced into single payer. Otherwise everyone could just wait to buy insurance until they're diagnosed with an expensive chronic illness.