News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash for Cameron Scandal Breaks

Started by Sheilbh, March 24, 2012, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on March 29, 2012, 04:25:37 PM
I thought the PM governed, and the Monarch ruled.  The Queen seems to have nice house.
The Queen's got many nice houses.  But then she's head of state and the Monarchy's permanent.  The Prime Minister's just another politician - first among equals in his own cabinet - who, when the time comes will be replaced in a way that's kind-of brutal.  The Queen apparently likes to remind all PM's that she's had 12 PMs during her reign so far :lol:

There's very little pomp and ceremony around the Prime Minister unless he goes abroad (which is why they like it so much), there's no inauguration, state of the union, three hour TV interviews or Air Force One.  People don't even stand up when he enters the room and the title is rather separate from the person.  It's Mr. Cameron or Prime Minister, not Prime Minister Cameron and once you're out of office you're back to plain old Mr. Blair. 

Which is the way I think it should be.  There's nothing special about a PM - he's not head of state and unlike a President doesn't have a direct mandate from the people - he's just the MP in charge of the majority.  I think it helps keep them in their place a bit.

Edit: And to be fair they've got a lovely country residence:

I think it's the same as the Danes with their Copenhagen home and Marienborg.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2012, 04:13:53 PM
Has there ever been any discussion of building a new PM's residence?  Every time I see no. 10 in a movie I think that dump really needs a yard.

The PM has a much nicer place in the country :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chequers

No 10 is really more of an office, convenient for the houses of Parliament.

..............and sheilbh beat me to it  :P

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2012, 04:32:08 PM
I thought the PM governed, and the Monarch ruled.  The Queen seems to have nice house.
The Queen's got many nice houses.  But then she's head of state and the Monarchy's permanent.  The Prime Minister's just another politician - first among equals in his own cabinet - who, when the time comes will be replaced in a way that's kind-of brutal.  The Queen apparently likes to remind all PM's that she's had 12 PMs during her reign so far :lol:

There's very little pomp and ceremony around the Prime Minister unless he goes abroad (which is why they like it so much), there's no inauguration, state of the union, three hour TV interviews or Air Force One.  People don't even stand up when he enters the room and the title is rather separate from the person.  It's Mr. Cameron or Prime Minister, not Prime Minister Cameron and once you're out of office you're back to plain old Mr. Blair. 

Which is the way I think it should be.  There's nothing special about a PM - he's not head of state and unlike a President doesn't have a direct mandate from the people - he's just the MP in charge of the majority.  I think it helps keep them in their place a bit.

Edit: And to be fair they've got a lovely country residence:

I think it's the same as the Danes with their Copenhagen home and Marienborg.

Shelf, that's a nice summary; you really should consider 'cross-posting' some of you stuff into wiki.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

It is why I'm a monarchist. I'm perfectly willing to bow and scrape to her Maj, she was born to that role after all and providing her with that respect is respecting the nation; but I'm damned if I will ever bow and scrape to another mere citizen such as Blair or Cameron  :P

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 29, 2012, 04:45:30 PM
It is why I'm a monarchist. I'm perfectly willing to bow and scrape to her Maj, she was born to that role after all and providing her with that respect is respecting the nation; but I'm damned if I will ever bow and scrape to another mere citizen such as Blair or Cameron  :P

:thumbsup:

Which is one of the odder things I find about the conspiracy lot/occupy lot, the hate for HMQ, even leaving aside all the lizard craps, if you're going to viscerally hate someone, make it the here to day gone tomorrow politicians, rather than some who had no choice in the largely powerless position of authority that they find themselves in by an accident of birth and history. *

*This sentence ran out of it's allocation of punctuation rather sooner than expect, we hope to resume normal random service in a later thread. 

MadImmortalMan

And yet within his sphere, the PM has more direct and independent power than most heads of government or state on the planet while he's in office. Certainly more than the President of the USA, claims of "leader of the free world" notwithstanding.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
And yet within his sphere, the PM has more direct and independent power than most heads of government or state on the planet while he's in office. Certainly more than the President of the USA, claims of "leader of the free world" notwithstanding.
Yes.

Edit:  Although I do think Brown reduced the number of prerogative powers quite substantially in response to the expenses scandal, part of the series of acts to increase the prestige and strength of Parliament.  Of course to be PM you need a majority in Parliament so that may not work, especially if you've got a dominant successful leader like Thatcher or Blair.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2012, 05:27:13 PM

Big fish in a small pound syndrome.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2012, 04:51:47 PM

:thumbsup:

Which is one of the odder things I find about the conspiracy lot/occupy lot, the hate for HMQ, even leaving aside all the lizard craps, if you're going to viscerally hate someone, make it the here to day gone tomorrow politicians, rather than some who had no choice in the largely powerless position of authority that they find themselves in by an accident of birth and history. *

*This sentence ran out of it's allocation of punctuation rather sooner than expect, we hope to resume normal random service in a later thread.

If it was for the good of the country the Queen would step aside, she certainly does not deserve to be hated after 60 years of service  :mad:

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2012, 04:20:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2012, 04:13:53 PM
Has there ever been any discussion of building a new PM's residence?  Every time I see no. 10 in a movie I think that dump really needs a yard.

It fit perfectly with the country's post-empire vibe; If you've once ruled 1/4 or the world's landmass and are now reduced to 95,00 sq.miles and counting, then a shabby little flat over the shop seems entirely fitting.  :bowler:

I disagree.
Even in the times of empire having  1/4 of the world ran from a little terraced house is very fittingly British.  :bowler:

But yes. Huzzah for the monarchy. Boo to revolutionary morons.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Being a proud republican I don't scrape and bow to anybody.

Richard Hakluyt

Good answer, you understand that  if I was a German I would also be a staunch republican; the current republic is by far the best arrangement you chaps have ever had, just as our constitutional monarchy is the best arrangement we have ever had  :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 30, 2012, 03:43:06 AM
Good answer, you understand that  if I was a German I would also be a staunch republican; the current republic is by far the best arrangement you chaps have ever had, just as our constitutional monarchy is the best arrangement we have ever had  :D

Does this imply that with all that has gone before, from attila to now, the Merkel regime is the pinnacle of german government? :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2012, 04:32:08 PM

Only just saw this.

Are you sure about this?  In Canada any Prime Minister is granted the honourific Right Honourable for life, as in the Right Honourable Kim Campbell.  Would it not be the same in the UK?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I thought they were offered a Peerage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017