And we're back!

Main Menu

When Will We Next See Cheap Energy ?

Started by mongers, March 24, 2012, 05:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Neil on March 25, 2012, 10:23:37 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 09:37:54 PM
Germany's position is just strange, I think it's a throw money in the air and see what happens approach; they have 44% of total world installed solar panel capacity and 14% of the worlds wind turbines, yet those and other renewables (excluding hydro and nuclear) manage to produce just 6% of German energy needs.
Why did you feel the need to exclude nuclear from the 'other renewables' category?  Nuclear energy is only renewable on timescales in the tens of billions of years.

Simply because thats what the figures I was using did.

It also makes sense as both nuclear and hydro greatly outperform* other renewables and are relatively mature technologies, so it's by excluding them we can have a more focused look at solar, wind, tidal etc.

* World energy use when converted to oil tonne equivalent breaks down like this:

Oil - 33.6%
Natural gas - 23.8%
Coal - 29.6%
Nuclear - 5.2%
Hydro - 6.5%
Renewables - 1.3%

So Hydro outperforms the total of all other renewables by a factor of 5.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

sbr

Quote from: mongers on March 25, 2012, 08:36:07 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 25, 2012, 02:06:11 AM
Solar in Germany is a massive misinvestment. The power consumers, i.e. the average citizens (because industrial power consumers get other rates), will have to pay for that shit for the next two decades. Something like 80 billion Euro or so IIRC. It's completely pointless and only motivated by the ideology of the Green Party.

Yes call me niece....

Hi neice.

Is this some sort of fetish?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on March 26, 2012, 01:01:47 PM
Bill Gates on clean, cheap energy.

Fucker's got a lot of nerve, considering the sheer countless amount of megawattage wasted over the years from rebooting BSODs.

mongers

Still no mention in the thread of the dreaded C* word.    :hmm:

*conservation. :gasp:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 26, 2012, 01:13:48 PM

= Communism.

MadImmortalMan

You mean "China". The non-growing world is already all over the conservation thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 26, 2012, 01:37:12 PM

You mean "China". The non-growing world is already all over the conservation thing.

It's not due to that, for instance in the UK the modest energy use reductions of recent years have been almost exclusively gained by exporting industrial production abroad/China and by the shift from coal/oil to gas powered electricity generation, the same could be said of carbon use.

Take a look outside on the city streets, major roads and in the skies, notice any reduction in traffic/congestion and energy use there ?

Neil

Because that would be the end of civilization.  Increasing energy needs are what drive civilization.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 25, 2012, 03:04:31 AM
Sunshine belongs to everyone. Trapping it for your own use seems a tad selfish.
+1
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.