going to Munich for Easter? info needed, please

Started by Pedrito, March 24, 2012, 04:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I'm thinking about bringing the family to visit Munich during the upcoming Easter holidays.

is it a good time of the year to visit Bavaria?

does anyone know some nice, family-friendly place to stay?

What is mandatory to see while in town?

it would be a 500km car trip from where I live, so I'm pondering eventually a train trip, but this would limit my movement options: is the city easily navigable for a tourist with a car, or is it better to use public transport?

Other questions when they'll come to my mind.

Thank you
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Never been to Munisch, but I've been warned that it's full of Bavarians.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

I've not been in Munich for at least a decade, so I can't help you either.

The Deutsches Museum is quite interesting for kids as there is lots of stuff to try yourself.

Tamas

Jawohl, the Deutsches Museum is interesting and good entertainment for a whole day, basically. Do an early lunch then visit it.

When I spent two weeks there, I found most of the sights to be easily accessible through the S-Bahn lines. There is a palace-like thingie on the outskirts for which we had to took the tram, but it was okay.

So even if you go by car I would opt for booking a hotel around the center of the city, and then s-bahning your way around.

Check the S-Bahn map, there are like 4 or 5 stations where all 8 lines meet, that's the center. :) For hotels as I well, it would seem, the decent ones anyway.

All in all I enjoyed myself very much there, but it was more about living higher than usual on company money. :P While there are some nice things to check out, I am quite convinced you can find similar stuff in almost all major cities (aformentioned Museum excluded), so I am not sure about it being the optimal choice for the hole holiday with kids angle.  :hmm:
I do know a nice Italian restaurant though. :P

If you DO go, make sure, ABSOLUTELY sure to find a restaurant which has Augustiner beer. They don't export it outside of Bavaria, and that is a crime against humanity. Absolutely excellent beer. It even makes it worthwile to deal with traditional Bavarian food (which is characterized by a complete lack of any taste).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2012, 06:01:52 AM
I am quite convinced you can find similar stuff in almost all major cities (aformentioned Museum excluded)
Not the Englischer Garten with its nudists.

Quote, so I am not sure about it being the optimal choice for the hole holiday with kids angle.  :hmm:
Oh, okay.  :P

QuoteAugustiner beer. They don't export it outside of Bavaria, and that is a crime against humanity. Absolutely excellent beer.
You can definitely buy it in other parts of Germany.

QuoteIt even makes it worthwile to deal with traditional Bavarian food (which is characterized by a complete lack of any taste).
Eh?

CountDeMoney

Easter in Munich?  Do they still have the traditional "Beating O' The Jew" festival there?

Admiral Yi

Only place I went in Munich was the Hofbrauhaus, monumentally touristy German beer hall with oompah band.  It was perfect, exactly what I needed, except the serving wenches didn't have their tits all jacked up like St. Pauli Girl.

BTW, what do you call an oompah band in German?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2012, 04:39:00 PM
BTW, what do you call an oompah band in German?

I don't know, Johnny...what do you call an oompah band in German?

Zanza

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

Ok, I postponed it to the weekend of the 1st of May, the weather will be sunnier (here Easter was a complete tragedy, temperatures around 13°C, thunderstorms, etc.).

I've found a hotel on the east side of the river, not far from Museuminsel and a S-Bahn station. The town centre should be reachable in a 20 minutes stroll.

Thanks for the info.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 06:45:17 AM
Easter in Munich?  Do they still have the traditional "Beating O' The Jew" festival there?

They would have to hire outside Jews for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2012, 06:13:58 AM
I had a hamburger at the train station once.

A hamburger in Munich? That's like having a frankfurter in Cologne.

PDH

I heard of a girl who took a tramp in the woods.  Don't know if he was from Hamburg.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM