Corzine is screwed, email shows gave "direct instructions" to transfer $200 mill

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2012, 11:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Dude's fucked!

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/23/10833344-corzine-approved-money-transfer-mf-global-email-shows

QuoteCorzine approved money transfer, MF Global email shows

By msnbc.com staff and news services

As MF Global was in the final throes of a fatal cash crisis, CEO Jon Corzine gave "direct instructions" to transfer $200 million of customer funds to cover an overdraft, according to a congressional memo released Friday.

The memo cited an October 2011 memo from assistant treasurer Edith O'Brien, who is scheduled to testify next week at the latest in a series of congressional hearings into the collapse of the firm.

The bankruptcy trustee overseeing the liquidation of the company's brokerage subsidiary has estimated at $1.6 billion in customer funds is missing.

Corzine, a former senator and governor of New Jersey, has testified before Congress that he had no specific knowledge of how customer funds may have been misused.

Steven Goldberg, a spokesman for Corzine, said Corzine did ask for the overdrafts to be corrected but "never gave any instruction to misuse customer funds."

"He never directed Ms. O'Brien or anyone else regarding which account should be used to cure the overdrafts, and he never directed that customer funds should be used for that purpose," Goldberg said in a statement.

Corzine has not been formally accused of any wrongdoing. Days after the request to transfer customer funds to cover the overdraft in a JPMorgan account in London, MF Global collapsed and was forced to file for bankruptcy.

According to a footnote in the congressional memo, broker-dealers like MF Global sometimes do deposit excess brokerage funds in segregated customer accounts, but there were clearly questions about the appropriateness of the requested $200 million transfer, which was reviewed by the firm's top lawyer.

The memo says JPMorgan chief risk officer Barry Zubrow called Corzine directly to seek assurances that the funds being transferred belonged to MF Global and did not include customer funds.

The bank followed up with a letter requesting written assurances that all MF Global transfers -- "past, present and future" -- complied with Commodity Futures Trading Commission rules about keeping customer money separate from the broker's own, according to the memo.

Laurie Ferber, MF Global Holding's general counsel, balked at the request as being too broad and instead wanted to narrow the written assurance to only the Oct. 28 transfer, the memo said.

When MF Global collapsed, the firm said it could not account for $600 million in customer funds. The figure has ballooned to $1.6 billion.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

chipwich

KRonn

If actually true that he screwed all those investors, he's a total sleezeball. The people of NJ should be happy he's gone; I'm sure he was screwing them too.

DGuller

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Hardly a smoking gun.  There is no proof cited showing that Corzine knew the funds weren't excess.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Sigh.  The legal cases would be so much more fun without damn lawyers mucking things up.  :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 26, 2012, 11:02:02 PM
Hardly a smoking gun.  There is no proof cited showing that Corzine knew the funds weren't excess.
From what I saw on TV, the woman who wrote this email was defended in Congress by Corzine as someone who was extremely reliable and knew all about his business dealings.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Given the condition of the company, would it be reasonable to expect $200 mil of surplus funds?

In addition, wasn't it also mentioned that the bank asked specifically for verification that these weren't customer funds?
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 27, 2012, 10:55:28 AM

Given the condition of the company, would it be reasonable to expect $200 mil of surplus funds?

In addition, wasn't it also mentioned that the bank asked specifically for verification that these weren't customer funds?

And they took it, so he must have provided them with something that looked convincing. I don't know if "I had my underlings do it" is going to be an effective defense.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Scipio

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 27, 2012, 11:05:15 AM

And they took it, so he must have provided them with something that looked convincing. I don't know if "I had my underlings do it" is going to be an effective defense.
Zey vere just followink orders!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2012, 11:24:48 PM
From what I saw on TV, the woman who wrote this email was defended in Congress by Corzine as someone who was extremely reliable and knew all about his business dealings.

Her reliability is not the issue.  The email does not prove corzines knowledge of fraud.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 27, 2012, 06:50:57 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2012, 11:24:48 PM

Her reliability is not the issue.  The email does not prove corzines knowledge of fraud.
Isn't it credibility issue? She said he gave "direct instructions". Now, maybe she's lying, but it'll be hard for Corzine to denounce her as a liar given the glowing defense of her credibility he previously gave.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The company could be in poor condition overall, yet still have surplus funds in particular accounts.  Indeed that would be exactly the reason a company might transfer monies from such an account.

JPM did ask for verification and MF gave it.  But for that to be fraud by Corzine he would have to have known the funds were not excess.  There is nothing in the O'Brien email that indicates such knowledge. 
--Joan Robinson