News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sarkozy wants to crack down on Languish

Started by Syt, March 23, 2012, 03:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/22/us-france-shooting-sarkozy-idUSBRE82L0MH20120322

Quote(Reuters) - President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Thursday that France would make it a crime to consult Web sites that advocate terrorism or hate crimes and would toughen a crackdown on people who went abroad for ideological indoctrination.

"From now on, any person who habitually consults Web sites that advocate terrorism or that call for hatred and violence will be criminally punished," Sarkozy said in a televised address after police shot dead an al Qaeda-inspired gunman who had killed seven people.

"France will not tolerate forced recruitment or ideological indoctrination on its soil," Sarkozy said, adding that an enquiry would be launched into whether prisons were being used to propagate extremism in France.

He said authorities were investigating whether Mohamed Merah, a 23-year-old Frenchman of Algerian origin, acted alone in the shootings of three Jewish children and four adults in southwest France.

Merah died on Wednesday in a hail of bullets when he jumped from a window after elite police commandos entered the apartment where he was holed up following a siege of more than 30 hours.

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Duque du Braganca will soon be in prison.  :(

Martinus

Maybe it's a language thing (I almost typed "Languish thing"  :blush: ) but how do you "call for hatred"?

Isn't hatred, like love, an emotion that cannot be "called for"? You need to let it bloom and grow like a pretty flower of death, and can't just make people experience it in a moment.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
Maybe it's a language thing (I almost typed "Languish thing"  :blush: ) but how do you "call for hatred"?

Isn't hatred, like love, an emotion that cannot be "called for"? You need to let it bloom and grow like a pretty flower of death, and can't just make people experience it in a moment.

They're talking more about watering the flowers than planting the seeds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I concur with Mssr. Sarkozy, to the extent of the illegality of insulting France on Languish.  That is simply intolérable.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on March 23, 2012, 03:21:30 AM
Duque de Bragança will soon be in prison.  :(

I'll check Languish only in Frankfurt from now on.  :P
News! More meaningless Sarkozy posturing, nothing will change. Film at 11!

derspiess

It's certainly possible to stir up hatred, though it certainly helps if you have a receptive audience.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

You can call for all sorts of things.  Artillery, pizza, hatred.   No big deal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: derspiess on March 23, 2012, 11:55:28 AM

It's certainly possible to stir up hatred, though it certainly helps if you have a receptive audience.

And on Languish, you'll get a receptive audience to about anything you call for.  Hatred, artillery, or pizza.

Ideologue

Passive-aggression, airpower, Reese's cups.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!