‘No trace’ left after extreme executions in North Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, March 23, 2012, 03:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The younger Kim is working hard to match the old man in crazy.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/22/report-north-korea-using-mortar-firing-squads/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
Quote'No trace' left after extreme executions in North Korea

By Andrew Salmon - Special to The Washington Times

Thursday, March 22, 2012

SEOUL — North Korea's young new leader, Kim Jong-un, has instituted a novel method of executing military officers - mortar firing squad, South Korea's leading daily newspaper reported Tuesday.

The 20-something Mr. Kim ordered a military officer to be executed in a way that would leave "no trace of him behind, down to his hair," the daily Chosun Ilbo reported, quoting a South Korean government source.

The officer was placed at the aiming point of a mortar range, where an artillery shell exploded and blew him to pieces, the newspaper reported. His crime: being caught drunk during the mourning period for Kim Jong-il, Mr. Kim's father and predecessor who died in December.

The execution was part of a purge of "unsound" military officers that took place under the control of the new supreme leader, the paper reported.

"When Kim Jong-un became North Korean leader following the mourning period for his father in late December, high-ranking military officers started disappearing," the South Korean government source told Chosun Ilbo. "From information compiled over the last month, we have concluded that dozens of military officers were purged."

Mr. Kim also ordered loyal officials to "get rid of" anyone caught misbehaving during the mourning period for his father, the source added.

The North Korean People's Army uses Warsaw Pact 82 mm mortars that fire artillery shells that weigh as much as 7 pounds and produce a killing radius of about 17 yards on impact.

The Chosun Ilbo report is the first to note such an explosive method of execution used in Korea, but there are historical precedents in other countries. For example, during the 1857 Indian Mutiny, vengeful British forces earned notoriety for blasting captured mutineers from a cannon.

Those familiar with the secretive North Korean regime say its authorities are not shy about using the grisliest execution techniques.

"I have not heard of mortar executions, but it is possible, as the North Korean government uses the most horrible methods," Shin Ju-hyun of the Daily NK, a South Korean nonprofit group with intelligence about North Korea, told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"One defector told me of an execution in which 90 bullets were fired. Afterwards, the victim's body was so torn apart, it was impossible to identify," Mr. Shin said.
Some regional analysts were hesitant to grant full credibility to the report in Chosun Ilbo, a conservative paper.

"In recent years, South Korea media and authorities have been far more skeptical of the weird and wonderful stories coming out of North Korea, such as cannibalism," said Michael Breen, a biographer of Kim Jong-il.

"This is the first juicy story about Kim Jong-un, and it is almost certainly from low-grade intelligence that got distorted in the telling. But there is a constituency that wants to believe it."

Still, Mr. Breen did not dismiss the report entirely. "Who knows?" he said. "It may be true."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on March 23, 2012, 05:32:21 AM
It is a quick and painless way to die, though.

I imagine that it is not.  Having your leg blown off by a mortar or getting filled with shrapnel seems like a very painful way to die.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

He got off easy. It's not uncommon for "traitors" in North Korea to be executed, along with their family out to 2 generations.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

I'd hate to be the cannon-cockers that missed the target though. Wonder what their punishment would be?

:lol: He said cocker
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 23, 2012, 09:03:11 AM
He got off easy. It's not uncommon for "traitors" in North Korea to be executed, along with their family out to 2 generations.

They really take that Stalinism seriously don't they?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Now that's creative.  But I don't think an 82mm shell is exactly going to vaporize someone.  Unless maybe you're good enough of a shot with a mortar that you can hit him dead-on.  Even then, it would probably take more than one shot, and mortar shells cost money.  I suppose you could kill two birds with one stone if you include the execution with a training exercise.

I think one shot from a 122mm howitzer would do the trick a lot more definitively.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall