Tenn. Science Bill Allowing Creationism In Schools Passes State Senate

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2012, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2012, 09:31:44 AM
What exactly is a "real Republican"?

Abe Lincoln.  Though in a pinch I could go for a Taft or a Rockefeller.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 08:40:41 AM
But in the 80s and early 90s the religius nutbags didn't have as much power as they do today and they were unable to deliver such religiously motivated crap. We had real Republican's back then rather than the american christian party of god.

Ever hear of the Moral Majority?

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2012, 08:35:38 AM
My point is that in my experience having gone to school in a state where we had this, that it was not a big deal and did not impact science teaching much.
Mind you, you went to school in a period where science education in America fell apart.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 08:58:56 AM
But in the 80s and early 90s the religius nutbags didn't have as much power as they do today and they were unable to deliver such religiously motivated crap. We had real Republican's back then rather than the american christian party of god.

Actually, it was the 80s and 90s the religious nutbags started targeting local school board elections as the place to start.  And they've been rolling ever since.
Indeed.  I think it's possible that Viking is confusing the 80s and 90s with the amazingly awesome Nixon years, when a benevolent Richard Nixon ruled over the United States and all was well.  And then he was toppled by greedy, opportunistic men and American has been paying penance for the last 40 years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

For all his faults and failures, Nixon will always be remembered for Linebacker II.  And that's enough.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2012, 11:10:36 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2012, 08:58:56 AM

Actually, it was the 80s and 90s the religious nutbags started targeting local school board elections as the place to start.  And they've been rolling ever since.
Indeed.  I think it's possible that Viking is confusing the 80s and 90s with the amazingly awesome Nixon years, when a benevolent Richard Nixon ruled over the United States and all was well.  And then he was toppled by greedy, opportunistic men and American has been paying penance for the last 40 years.

'69 - '74 saw oil embargo, US retreat from Vietnam, recognizing the Red Chinese, inflation, wage and price controls, and of course all the dirty, dirty hippies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Just imagine how much worse it would have been if the Republicans had nominated Reagan in '68.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 08:36:22 AM
I realize that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. At what point do I claim that debunking makes something a pseudoscience?

I realize that English is not your native tongue, but when something is "debunked" it is shown to have been "bunk" to begin with. 

So, the "steady state" model of the universe was never debunked, it was merely disproven (as it was set up to be).  You are not the only person that doesn't understand what "debunk" means, of course, and it really doesn't change your other points, but it does invalidate this one.  Pseudo-sciences are debunked, not disproven, and something that can be debunked is a pseudo-science if a science of any kind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!