Tenn. Science Bill Allowing Creationism In Schools Passes State Senate

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2012, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 02:16:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 27, 2012, 11:51:47 PM
Seems a bit unfair to compare modern neurology with phrenology.  It was considered fairly scientific back in 1820's.   It lasted longer in the fringe world.  It could be seen as a "proto-science" that didn't pan out.  Alchemy is an interesting example as it sort of a pre-scientific method of chemistry.  It did pave the way for modern Chemistry.  So did Astrology for a more limited sense, though in a more limited sense.  I don't think anyone every considered "magic" as a replacement for physics.  At least not in the West for several centuries.

Phrenology is pseudoscience, and was pseudoscience at the time. Like creationism it did science backwards by identifying features they falsely thought were associated with certain races and ethnicities and declaring that these features were associated with desireable mental traits and skills.

Regardless, when an idea is debunked is irrelevant. There are still phrenologists out there and they are just as ridiculous as astrologers.

People don't think that astrology, magic and phrenology are decent comparisons for creationism is because they erroniouslly think that creationism has any scientific backing. There is no case for any of these pseudosciences, only creationism has religious dogma backing it and consequently hasn't died.

When an idea is debunked is not irrelevant. :huh:  We don't consider the steady state model of the universe Pseudoscience because it is now debunked.  It was a the mainstream model for a long period of time. It's simply wrong.  I believe phrenology was the first system of trying to tie parts of the brain to different aspects of personality.  We do recognize that certain parts of the brain do affect different parts personality (amongst other things).  Though I can understand why you might be uncomfortable with it.  It is often associated with scientific racism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2012, 08:12:03 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 02:23:55 AM
The problem here is that there are people who time to time manage to get creationist majorities elected to these school boards and state curriculum boards (Dover, Pa, Kansas and Texas most recently).

And we will roll them back when they get booted out.  Unless we are going to re-write the Constitutions of those states or something.

Challenge Accepted

If he pulls it off I'll blame you.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 08:26:49 AM

Why am I dictator of America or something?  What I think makes no difference.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

What point are you trying to make here Valmy?

That it is no big deal that astoudingly ignorant people get to influence school curriculum's, because at some point we can just fix it?

That may be true, but I don't see how it is relevant to the discussion of how astoundingly stupid it is in the first place. It is via discussion and people saying "Hey, look, they did something stupid!" that change actually does happen.

Further, it is a waste of time and energy to have to be rolling back crap like this all the time, and there is damage done to education in the process.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 28, 2012, 08:33:58 AM

That it is no big deal that astoudingly ignorant people get to influence school curriculum's, because at some point we can just fix it?

That may be true, but I don't see how it is relevant to the discussion of how astoundingly stupid it is in the first place. It is via discussion and people saying "Hey, look, they did something stupid!" that change actually does happen.

Further, it is a waste of time and energy to have to be rolling back crap like this all the time, and there is damage done to education in the process.

My point is that in my experience having gone to school in a state where we had this, that it was not a big deal and did not impact science teaching much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2012, 08:15:12 AM
Seems a bit unfair to compare modern neurology with phrenology.  It was considered fairly scientific back in 1820's.   It lasted longer in the fringe world.  It could be seen as a "proto-science" that didn't pan out.  Alchemy is an interesting example as it sort of a pre-scientific method of chemistry.  It did pave the way for modern Chemistry.  So did Astrology for a more limited sense, though in a more limited sense.  I don't think anyone every considered "magic" as a replacement for physics.  At least not in the West for several centuries.

Phrenology is pseudoscience, and was pseudoscience at the time. Like creationism it did science backwards by identifying features they falsely thought were associated with certain races and ethnicities and declaring that these features were associated with desireable mental traits and skills.

Regardless, when an idea is debunked is irrelevant. There are still phrenologists out there and they are just as ridiculous as astrologers.

People don't think that astrology, magic and phrenology are decent comparisons for creationism is because they erroniouslly think that creationism has any scientific backing. There is no case for any of these pseudosciences, only creationism has religious dogma backing it and consequently hasn't died.

When an idea is debunked is not irrelevant. :huh:  We don't consider the steady state model of the universe Pseudoscience because it is now debunked.  It was a the mainstream model for a long period of time. It's simply wrong.  I believe phrenology was the first system of trying to tie parts of the brain to different aspects of personality.  We do recognize that certain parts of the brain do affect different parts personality (amongst other things).  Though I can understand why you might be uncomfortable with it.  It is often associated with scientific racism.

I realize that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. At what point do I claim that debunking makes something a pseudoscience? Phrenology was non-science trying to look like science; that is why it was pseudoscience. It was always non-science trying to look like science.

Hoyles SS Universe was (and in one sensse still is) science. Hubble's Red-Shift conclusively falsified Hoyles SS hypothesis. Ultimately Hoyles SS Universe Hypothesis did provide substantial parts of what is now known as The Big Bang Hypothesis. The most important contribution Hoyle made was the Solar Reactors. The initial Big Bang Hypothesis did not explain the prevalence of elements heavier than Helium in the ammounts they were found. The only place where we know these heavier elements could have been formed was in the cores of stars and the SS Universe lives on in the Big Bang Hypothesis with the first round of collapsed and exploding stars. We are on the second iteration of stars in this universe, that is why Iron exists at all and why Carl Sagan said that we were all star dust.

Phrenology on the other hand has no contribution to modern neurology or even modern anatomy.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2012, 08:29:06 AM

You are a convenient target. As an American and a Texan you have had ample opportunities to vote out idiots like Bush and Perry. It's much easier to blame you than to actually address and solve the true causes of the problem.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2012, 08:35:38 AM

My point is that in my experience having gone to school in a state where we had this, that it was not a big deal and did not impact science teaching much.

But in the 80s and early 90s the religius nutbags didn't have as much power as they do today and they were unable to deliver such religiously motivated crap. We had real Republican's back then rather than the american christian party of god.

Berkut

Great, it's good to know that it doesn't impact science teaching "much" in your anecdotal experience.

I would rather it not impact science teaching at all, myself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 28, 2012, 08:42:23 AMGreat, it's good to know that it doesn't impact science teaching "much" in your anecdotal experience.

I would rather it not impact science teaching at all, myself.

Unfortunately we live in the real world with real political considerations.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 08:40:41 AM
But in the 80s and early 90s the religius nutbags didn't have as much power as they do today and they were unable to deliver such religiously motivated crap. We had real Republican's back then rather than the american christian party of god.

Well the Republicans have discovered this as a wedge issue so it is more visible BUT one of the constants of school boards is that it has always attracted religious wackos (also leftwing wackos.  Normal people do not care about schools it seems).

CountDeMoney

Actually, it was the 80s and 90s the religious nutbags started targeting local school board elections as the place to start.  And they've been rolling ever since.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2012, 08:29:06 AM

This is on your head, Valmy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 28, 2012, 08:36:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2012, 08:15:12 AM

I realize that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. At what point do I claim that debunking makes something a pseudoscience? Phrenology was non-science trying to look like science; that is why it was pseudoscience. It was always non-science trying to look like science.

Hoyles SS Universe was (and in one sensse still is) science. Hubble's Red-Shift conclusively falsified Hoyles SS hypothesis. Ultimately Hoyles SS Universe Hypothesis did provide substantial parts of what is now known as The Big Bang Hypothesis. The most important contribution Hoyle made was the Solar Reactors. The initial Big Bang Hypothesis did not explain the prevalence of elements heavier than Helium in the ammounts they were found. The only place where we know these heavier elements could have been formed was in the cores of stars and the SS Universe lives on in the Big Bang Hypothesis with the first round of collapsed and exploding stars. We are on the second iteration of stars in this universe, that is why Iron exists at all and why Carl Sagan said that we were all star dust.

Phrenology on the other hand has no contribution to modern neurology or even modern anatomy.

So you would put Phrenology in the same category as memes?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

You have no fucking clue do you?