How One Response to a Reddit Query Became a Big Budget Flick

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 21, 2012, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 21, 2012, 11:08:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 10:59:47 PM
Better for a Spanish Terico from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD. The noble in charge should know Latin, as would the priest and Spanish isn't that far off from Latin. It's definitely something the men could learn. Plus they'd have gunsmiths and blacksmiths who would be able to teach the down timers their techniques.

There's a reason why time travel fiction is almost always anchored with one end in the present- you want readers/viewers to be able to relate to somebody.

Plenty of novels/movies are set entirely in the past, how is setting a novel or movie in two different time periods in the past any different?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

The American audience can only handle getting bad history about one time period at a time.

Crazy_Ivan80

"Nelson and his men, who are crippled without mapping software and GPS to fix their position"

Outside Rome, on the banks of the Tiber! Jeez. what more do you need to figure out where you are? :p

Josquius

I've read this same story a bazillion times.
Its pretty common amongst alternate history folks.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on March 22, 2012, 07:01:33 AM
I've read this same story a bazillion times.

Yup.

When I was 13, I started a story about a squad of US infantrymen in post-WW3 West Germany (V Corps out of Heidelberg) that was transported to the Middle Ages.  A few weeks later, my friend Eric showed me a cheesy paperback at the bookstore about a WW2 infantry squad transported to a fantasy world, complete with dragons.  I promptly stopped writing said story.

derspiess

Better for a Spanish Terico from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD. The noble in charge should know Latin, as would the priest and Spanish isn't that far off from Latin. It's definitely something the men could learn. Plus they'd have gunsmiths and blacksmiths who would be able to teach the down timers their techniques.

?

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

That would be so awesome, having Mike Terico doing the play-by-play for the 30 years war.  But only if Joe Theisman or Paul Maguire can do color.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 10:02:17 AM
That would be so awesome, having Mike Terico doing the play-by-play for the 30 years war.  But only if Joe Theisman or Paul Maguire can do color.

Works for me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 09:59:35 AM
Pic
Now that's a funny typo! :lol:

I obviously meant
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

QuoteBetter for a Spanish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD.

:hmm:  No, that doesn't make sense, either.  I doubt that the Spanish had Wikipedia links in the 1600s.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on March 22, 2012, 10:40:56 AM
QuoteBetter for a Spanish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tercio from the 30 Years War to get sent back to like 150AD.

:hmm:  No, that doesn't make sense, either.  I doubt that the Spanish had Wikipedia links in the 1600s.
:rolleyes:

Don't be like that.

1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on March 22, 2012, 10:32:29 AM
Then he could rape an intern.

I think all he did was harrass, right?  And come on, everyone sexually harrasses at ESPN :rolleyes:

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on March 22, 2012, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 22, 2012, 10:32:29 AM
Then he could rape an intern.

I think all he did was harrass, right?  And come on, everyone sexually harrasses at ESPN :rolleyes:

Yeah but it is the 30 Years War he would be covering.  I upped the ante.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2012, 10:02:17 AM
Theisman: He's no military genius, like Publicus Cornholio Scorpio!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt