And we're back!

Main Menu

Mali Ripped Apart By Tuareg Rebellion

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 12:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 21, 2012, 12:56:52 PM
Too bad. A couple of people I know have been there and I would have liked to go to that music festival near Timbuctou and to the Dogon Valley. But right now, Westerners are under severe threat of kidnapping there. :(

I was going to make a joke about calling off my Mali vacation plans.  Didn't realize anyone actually went there.

Germans are well known for their desert tourism.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

So, here's the problem:  BMW is going to have to rebrand their shitty SUV.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2012, 07:04:28 PM
What did the X's do?

Admiral Yi

??  VW I thought.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2012, 07:19:43 PM

??  VW I thought.
Maybe.  All German automakers are equally bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2012, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2012, 07:19:43 PM

??  VW I thought.
Maybe.  All German automakers are equally bad.

I owned a German car once. 

Once.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

My wife had one of those new beetles. Until the engine turned into a potato. No more VW's. EVER.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2012, 07:32:36 PM
My wife had one of those new beetles. Until the engine turned into a potato. No more VW's. EVER.

The old VW's weren't bad.  Unless it was cold outside.  Or you like moving very quickly.  And you were very short.  I also know from personal experience that they don't deflect arrows worth a damn.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 06:06:30 PM
What music?
The music's great.  There's an annual Festival in the Desert all about Malinese music.  There's a few artists who are big worldwide too.

QuoteAnd from what I've seen, Tmbuktu is a shithole without much to see.
The Grand Mosque:

The old city's filled with similar architecture.  The library of Timbuktu's got one of the oldest and largest stores of African manuscripts, used on the old trade route, mostly in Arabic, which are now being restored and will be rehoused in a library/museum.  My impression is that it's a pretty remarkably stunning place :mellow:

Edit: Changed picture.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

The old VW's weren't bad.  Unless it was cold outside.  Or you like moving very quickly.  And you were very short.  I also know from personal experience that they don't deflect arrows worth a damn.
Had trouble with some Injun tribes, did ya?   :hmm:

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 21, 2012, 07:52:04 PM

My dad collects and tinkers with old Beetles & I've always liked them as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 21, 2012, 08:24:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 06:06:30 PM
What music?
The music's great.  There's an annual Festival in the Desert all about Malinese music.  There's a few artists who are big worldwide too.

QuoteAnd from what I've seen, Tmbuktu is a shithole without much to see.
The Grand Mosque:
The old city's filled with similar architecture.  The library of Timbuktu's got one of the oldest and largest stores of African manuscripts, used on the old trade route, mostly in Arabic, which are now being restored and will be rehoused in a library/museum.  My impression is that it's a pretty remarkably stunning place :mellow:

I've seen better at those major sand castle building events. 

Ok, I am at least half-kidding.  :P

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 21, 2012, 08:24:43 PM

Any suggestions?  What sets it apart from all the other traditional African folk music?

The Grand Mosque:

I'll avoid the "African engineering" joke, but I'll just say I'm not overly impressed. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on March 21, 2012, 08:57:12 PM
Any suggestions?  What sets it apart from all the other traditional African folk music?
I'd suggest listening to Ali Farka Toure.  I think he's got a very interesting voice and playing guitar or, I think, kora he's pretty good.

I don't know enough about other African folk music to judge what's different.  The only other African stuff I listen too really is Youssou N'Dour from Senegal.  A lot of his stuff is religious and rather beautiful but quite polished.  The stuff I've heard from Mali, like Ali Farka Toure, is far grittier.  That could just be the style of those artists though I'm not in a position to comment.

I believe, but this is dim memory of a Damon Albarn article, that there's a musician caste in Malian culture which is largely in Timbuktu.  Which means the city itself is incredible to for music because there's improvisation and music everywhere. 

QuoteI'll avoid the "African engineering" joke, but I'll just say I'm not overly impressed.
I think that Mosque's part of a university which is about as old as Oxbridge.  It's certainly a few hundred years old.  Which is surely a pretty impressive feat of engineering? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!